• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you store your traditional muzzleloaders, muzzle up, muzzle down or horizontal? Does it make a difference and if so why?

Thanks

I store my muzzle down. At first I would put them muzzle down after cleaning, with a new paper towel under the muzzle. Usually within 24-hours the towel would be stained and I'd change it out. Sometimes this went on for quite a while. When the towel stayed clean, I'd put them on a horizontal rack that holds them with the muzzle slightly lower than the tang. After a while, I just gave up and leave them muzzle down all the time.

Mine have to go muzzle up to fit in here. My Kibler SMR almost bumps the roof inside, it won't go in with a .32 jag on the ramrod, it is that close. I had to make a cutout in the shelves to get my BP rifles inside. This picture is prior to my building the Kibler. The rifles in the picture have 42" barrels.

gun safe 001.JPG

Attachments

• gun safe shelf cutout 001.JPG
    gun safe shelf cutout 001.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 72
I bought some "Rifle Rods" for my gun safes. One of the best purchases I've ever made. I can fir more guns in my safe and keep them separated so they don't ding each other.

My safe is tall enough, but they are easier to store muzzle down. I don't bump them together as much when the butt is up. I do the paper towel thing before putting them back in the safe.

Never thought of the cutout Eric Krewson. I have too many to fit in my gun safe and don't have too many security concerns anyway, but I've always bitched and moaned about not being able to fit them in there. Good idea.

I rely don't think back in the day that the buck skinners rely cared or thought about it, they had more pressing thing's at hand. JMHO.

I bought some "Rifle Rods" for my gun safes. One of the best purchases I've ever made. I can fir more guns in my safe and keep them separated so they don't ding each other.
SOCKS - are your friend! No dings - no dents - This is the "active and working" safe next to the work bench.
(NOTE - part of the picture has been hidden - but the tops of the "LONG" ones are above the top shelf line.
This safe came with cutouts on both sides of the dividing shelf. NOTE - several of the cue sticks are butt up.
An ID label is on the tag of each - printed with a Brother label maker.

20210124_091949.jpg

Mine are muzzle up. I done have room to store them horizontally. Ive never hsd an issue storing mine muzzle up. Just do a quick clean before heading to the range. Couple dry patches through bore, pipe cleaner in flash hole amd dry rag to the pan and its good to go.

Mine are muzzle up. I done have room to store them horizontally. Ive never hsd an issue storing mine muzzle up. Just do a quick clean before heading to the range. Couple dry patches through bore, pipe cleaner in flash hole amd dry rag to the pan and its good to go.
I should clarify - some of mine are butt up to make more room in the bottom end of the safe.
After cleaning and oiling a barrel, I set them outside the safe with a paper towel under the muzzle for a couple of days and allow them to drain any excess lube somewhere beside the breech.
I also HIGHLY recommend some moisture protection. I have 2 quart size canisters of keep dry beads in the safe, every month I remove 1 of them to "recharge" it (that means heating it to dry out the media - when it's wet it is green, when it is dry it is orange.

Back