• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloader magazine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought my first copy of Muzzleloader magazine. I hope this discussion is not a violation of the rules. (I did check first.)
I am very impressed with it. The quality and the beautiful photography were surprising, especially for the $6.00 cover price.I plan to subscribe and to pick up all the back issues that I can. Several magazines that I have enjoyed no longer are being printed, even after the cover price crept up to near $10.00. I hope the same doesn't happen to ML mag.

Mr moderator, kill this thread if it violates the rules, please.

Jason Gatliff works very hard to produce a high quality magazine dedicated to traditional muzzleloading. He does depend on submissions from freelance authors to fill topics. He does want to represent all muzzleloading from the East Coast to the West Coast.

Muzzleloader is an excellent magazine. It covers not just the firearms and associated gear but the history of that period. The photographs are stunning and show craftmanship as works of art. I started reading it decades ago when they had columns by Mark Baker and Beth Gilgun. Jason Gatliff has retained the informative aspect and raised the visual part to a new level. I subscribe and look forward to each issue.

Jeff

I just bought my first copy of Muzzleloader magazine. I hope this discussion is not a violation of the rules. (I did check first.)
I am very impressed with it. The quality and the beautiful photography were surprising, especially for the $6.00 cover price.I plan to subscribe and to pick up all the back issues that I can. Several magazines that I have enjoyed no longer are being printed, even after the cover price crept up to near $10.00. I hope the same doesn't happen to ML mag.

Mr moderator, kill this thread if it violates the rules, please.
Don't know why it would violate, as the magazine is very educational and ML specific. I've subscribed for a number of years, and along with being a member of the NMLRA, have learned much about history, BP culture, art, craftsmanship, etc. Glad you found it!

I have been fortunate to find, on here, someone willing to part with back issues from 2016 to current.:ThankYou: I am pleased. I still hope to find the earlier issues thru my ad.:thumb:

I like ML magazine, but I'd rather see more technical and hunting related articles than the way it is now. Don't get me wrong, I like history, but can't relate to some of the more obscure articles about people or places I have never heard of and or have no interest in.

I get Muzzle Loader Magazine . But feel its far too focused on the art & US. Plus unless you are into fancy cameras you don't rate . Much preferred the Bill Scurlock style I pass mine onto a local friend then to Ezekial both read every page eagerly maybe. Ime out of Sinc. I currently get Muzzle Blasts,. but had dropped it due to the cheating inlines . Rudyard

I've thought about subscribing too but am curious how much hunting content it has? If it's like Muzzle Blasts then I'll probably pass. The history stuff is ok but I'm much more interested in traditional muzzleloader hunting.

I've thought about subscribing too but am curious how much hunting content it has? If it's like Muzzle Blasts then I'll probably pass. The history stuff is ok but I'm much more interested in traditional muzzleloader hunting.

There are hunting articles, but they are few and far between. There are far too many articles with the same people going to woods walk shoots and the like. Again I have no interest in thst sort of thing.

There are hunting articles, but they are few and far between. There are far too many articles with the same people going to woods walk shoots and the like. Again I have no interest in thst sort of thing.

Jason has some staff writers. Many of the articles published in "Muzzleloader Magazine" are submitted by free lance authors as well. If you want to see more traditional hunting articles, then we may have to do the writing and submitting. I don't know what compensation Jason has for articles.

I just rec'd the years 2016-2019. I love them. I love the photos of the guns in every issue as well as the articles. I will be subscribing and looking to buy all the issues prior to 2016.

Thanks R.H. A postal money order is in the mail.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Thank you all for the kind words regarding MUZZLELOADER. @Grenadier1758 is correct I do try to represent all of muzzleloading from the East to the West Coast. @Rudyard regarding the US focus, I'm sorry but that's where the vast majority of our market it. Out of just over 9,000 subscribers, less than 300 are outside of the US. That being said I am totally open to publishing some articles about muzzleloading in other places, provided someone sends something in.

What most people don't realize is that we are 100% a publication run by, of, and for muzzleloading enthusiasts. We don't assign any articles, period. I might occasionally ask my writers if they would be willing to write an article about a certain topic, most of the articles we get in are because the author felt passionate enough about the topic to write about it. So the best thing to do, if you want to see other topics covered is to write in, that way I can publish the letter and hopefully influence someone to send in a manuscript on those topics.

We do pay for all articles published in MUZZLELOADER, compensation typically ranges fro $100 to $300 per article depending on the type of article, the length of it, the number and quality of the illustrations, etc. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to shoot me an email.
Thank you,
Jason W. Gatliff
MUZZLELOADER magazine

Dear Mr Gatliff . I would happily send you articles I've written a great many over the years inc one on' Observations on Archaic locks' that ran in MLM Dec 1995 from memory . I guess you own it as it was written for Mr Scurlock who paid for it perhaps you might run it again since the readership will have changed.? I did offer to write when you owned the Magazine but you wanted photos & great length and seemed locked into the style it is . A friend subscribed for me both ML Mag & M Blasts who I had written for. Both are exellent if M' Blasts the more varied and would include the despised in line cheater guns . So I ceased to take it. But foreward MLM to a friend who really enjoy them ..Your Magazine is good just you seemed so picky re the photos . I've forgotten more about muzzle loaders than most people will ever know . Perhaps if you read the article you might gauge where I am at & my style .
Respectfully yours Rudyard
PM me for real names .

Back