• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloader kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Russell

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all I bought a Kentucky 50cal full stock kit rifle to build and I'm looking to customize it more traditional with iron instead of brass hopping some others had did this looking for ideas and pictures thanks all

Hi Gary. There are all kinds of "Kentucky" rifle kits. Which one did you get. Pictures?

It might help people give you customizing ideas if they knew what you are starting with. Would make a big difference if this is a Traditions kit, for example, vs a Track of the Wolf kit or something that might already be more historically accurate with perhaps "more traditional" other parts available. Also, what are your thoughts on why iron is "more traditional" on a "Kentucky" rifle than brass? Is there any other reason you don't want the brass that I assume came with it? I know some don't like brass because it's "shiney" and might spook game, but there are many ways to age it to take that shine off, if that's a concern.

Hi Gary. There are all kinds of "Kentucky" rifle kits. Which one did you get. Pictures?

It might help people give you customizing ideas if they knew what you are starting with. Would make a big difference if this is a Traditions kit, for example, vs a Track of the Wolf kit or something that might already be more historically accurate with perhaps "more traditional" other parts available. Also, what are your thoughts on why iron is "more traditional" on a "Kentucky" rifle than brass? Is there any other reason you don't want the brass that I assume came with it? I know some don't like brass because it's "shiney" and might spook game, but there are many ways to age it to take that shine off, if that's a concern.
I bought a Tradition kit was about all I could find not I lot of choices right now but the price was right make and will make a good project

I thought Brass would be more traditional.
Form what I have read the Traditions Kentucky is not any real style just a generally accepted look.
I am pretty sure I also read that apart from the 2 piece stock there was just way too much wood in general. Unless you are trying to emulate a specific school.
I am sure better minds will chime in.

In the meantime use google.
There have been a few posts put up on "Improving" the Traditions Kentucky.
Personally I don't mind the look of them. Supposed to shoot real well!

Hi all I bought a Kentucky 50cal full stock kit rifle to build and I'm looking to customize it more traditional with iron instead of brass hopping some others had did this looking for ideas and pictures thanks all
From my reading concerning "Kentucky" longrifles the furniture was normally brass in the earlier models and typically iron in the later models. Notice I used the caveats "normally and typically" as there are some examples of iron furniture on earlier models and some brass on later models. I've found that reworking the comb and wrist does more to make those kits look more authentic.

I thought Brass would be more traditional.
Form what I have read the Traditions Kentucky is not any real style just a generally accepted look.
I am pretty sure I also read that apart from the 2 piece stock there was just way too much wood in general. Unless you are trying to emulate a specific school.
I am sure better minds will chime in.

In the meantime use google.
There have been a few posts put up on "Improving" the Traditions Kentucky.
Personally I don't mind the look of them. Supposed to shoot real well!
I believe it was Zonie who said the Pendersoli Kentucky looked kinda, sorta, maybe like the Berks County (Reading) school. As for the Traditions I haven't even looked at one, don't like the two piece stock so I have no idea what it kinda, sort, maybe resembles.

I bought a Tradition kit was about all I could find not I lot of choices right now but the price was right make and will make a good project

Gary, that should make a good first kit for you. I think the problem with trying to replace the furniture is that nothing will fit existing inlets that are there. It will be pretty difficult, IMO, to change that unless you can "safely" take enough wood off to re-inlet new parts. If I were you, I would leave the brass and focus on working on the stock architecture as much as possible to "lean it down" while still having your parts fit.

This is not a traditions kit like you have, but a few years ago I took my stock Pedersoli Frontier and did a complete rework on it, including converting it from percussion to flint, having the barrel cut and rebored, adding and changing furniture, and massively reshaping the stock. I made a Flickr album of the entire process start to finish. This may give you ideas of what can be done with a production gun (same as a production kit) to alter it's appearance dramatically. I'm not recommending anyone do all I did to this gun (I went a little crazy) but it is a good list of ideas of what things can be done to most production kits/guns to perhaps make them look "more traditional."

Here is the thread I had on the Gunbuilding forum at the time, and below that a current link to my Flickr album. If you double click any of the pictures, it will show just that picture and below it comments I made about the picture, what I was doing, etc.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/pedersoli-frontier-rebuild-underway.98605/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100435142@N08/albums/72157650877821348

Southern guns were oft iron mounted. Take a look at sitting fox web page as he has nice examples of iron mounted guns.
Early ‘Kentucky Rifles’ were bulkier then later guns. Made mostly in Pennsylvanian early on spread to New York Maryland and Virginia.
Back in the day Virginia rifles looked much like Lancaster Pennsylvanian made guns and were mostly brass mounted. Today the iron mount Virginia has become popular
Post a photo of your gun and folks can help steer you to parts. Track of the wolf, pecotonic arms and log cabin sport shop are good supply housed. I have a hard time with navigating the Dixy gun works site and I understand Jedidiah Star is not filling orders right now. Tennessee Valley arms can also set you up with parts. These won’t be drop ins and will have to be modified to fit either the part or the wood,

Gary, that should make a good first kit for you. I think the problem with trying to replace the furniture is that nothing will fit existing inlets that are there. It will be pretty difficult, IMO, to change that unless you can "safely" take enough wood off to re-inlet new parts. If I were you, I would leave the brass and focus on working on the stock architecture as much as possible to "lean it down" while still having your parts fit.

This is not a traditions kit like you have, but a few years ago I took my stock Pedersoli Frontier and did a complete rework on it, including converting it from percussion to flint, having the barrel cut and rebored, adding and changing furniture, and massively reshaping the stock. I made a Flickr album of the entire process start to finish. This may give you ideas of what can be done with a production gun (same as a production kit) to alter it's appearance dramatically. I'm not recommending anyone do all I did to this gun (I went a little crazy) but it is a good list of ideas of what things can be done to most production kits/guns to perhaps make them look "more traditional."

Here is the thread I had on the Gunbuilding forum at the time, and below that a current link to my Flickr album. If you double click any of the pictures, it will show just that picture and below it comments I made about the picture, what I was doing, etc.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/pedersoli-frontier-rebuild-underway.98605/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100435142@N08/albums/72157650877821348
Thank you for the replys I found a post from muzzleloader forum 2005 that gave some great customizing ideasfor my kentucky rifle kit as well all are good ideas thanks again

I dont know if Ide qualify as a better mind I've never seen a' Tradition's to comment. I might be a snob but I know nothing of these factory disgorged offerings. The Parker Hales where OK I did shoot one but have an old one & never did much Enfield shooting . I suppose its all a matter of price & purpose. I've seen gold inlaid Thompson Centers but I thought it guilding the lilly & definatly a bit OTT. But no accounting for taste some of my old favourites are scarce more than well pitted relics, but the bores where good ,still are and ide jump over a pile of factory guns to get to one Mongolian matchlock .However rough .All a matter of taste of course Rudyard

I have an older Thompson Center Hawken that I've shot a lot. All the brass on it is now a wonderful dull, almost brown hue. I never polished the brass because I didn't like it shiny. If you can wait, brass will eventually turn dull.

Latest posts

Back