• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader during modern rifle season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Stella

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I got draw for a deer tag in an area I have never hunted before. On the weekend of Aug 31st and Sep. 1st I am going to go scout the area for two days.

The area I got drawn for is a general rifle area but I can use a muzzleloader if I want. I am leaning very heavily toward just hunting with the muzzleloader.

The area I am going to be hunting is wilderness and I am going to pack in with horses about 5 miles. I am hoping this will cut down on the hunting pressure.

I am going to spend tomorrow shooting the Lyman. Between that and my scouting trip I hope to have the confidence to just leave the modern rifle at home.

Does anyone here hunt during the regular big game firearm season with a muzzleloader?

Yep...Opening day of rifle last season, taken in the Uwharrie National Forest here in Piedmont NC...

photo-1.jpg

Its all I've used for the last 10-12 yrs :idunno: I thought they was modern. Now I know why everyone laughs at me :hmm:

All the time! for the last 6 or 7 or 8 years. :shake: Dang Oldtimers Disease loosing tract of time already.

I do it all the time although I get some strange looks from the others at camp. Sometimes I even carry my vintage Bear Super Kodiak during rifle season. I not much of a trophy hunter. I enjoy challenging myself by using the old-timey stuff. :idunno:

I don't own any centerfire rifles anymore. Only muzzleloaders. I even gave my. 22 rimfire to my boy.

The only rifle allowed hereabouts during regular big game season would be a muzzleloader - so the choice has been easy for me. Flintlocks are all I use during regular gun and muzzleloading season. This year I'll be using a smoothbore fowler and round ball.

Recurve bow with wood arrows for the month prior during archery season.

Have been for some years, at first while hunting a camp they kinda looked at me like I was nuts. But after a bit they dont scoff me at all.

I haven't taken a deer with a centerfire for many years. If you don't shoot long range it's all you need. I don't usually go during our centerfire season; I don't like it with all the people and don't care for the generally warm weather during that season. If I were to take interest in deer hunting early fall here it would be with a recurve bow; I love em just never stay tuned up with them or buy the license.

Flintlocks are all I hunt with anymore and our after Chistmas flint season is perfect deer hunting to me.

Not that I wouldn't use a centerfire handgun or rifle for deer anymore it's just that I most likely will reach for a flinter.

I'd say for the last five years or so all I hunt with anymore are muzzleloading weapons. I've got smoothbores and rifles to cover anything I need to do. Like Stump, I also use a vintage Bear recurve and wooden arrows during archery season. My friends use to think I was a little strange but seeing my passion, I think they are coming around a bit and realizing that hunting is much more than just killing.

Jeff

Was always the odd duck who would use equipment everybody else thought was out dated. But I was always content to use it. Do what makes you happy but using longbows and muzzleloaders always makes a harvest more of a acomplishment. Pappy :wink:

We don't have a muzzleloader season so its bow in early sept and general season after that.I get lots of looks just because very few have seen a flintlock most use inlines if they want a challenge.I have been using a muzzleloader only for at least 5 years now.

Jay54 said:
Does anyone here hunt during the regular big game firearm season with a muzzleloader?
Yes, I do all my hunting with Flintlocks...doves, deer, squirrels, crow, turkey.
In fact, except for a one-time dove shoot last fall where I tried out a family heirloom 1878 Colt SxS .12ga Damascus hammer gun with black powder shells, it can be said that all I've hunted with this century have been Flintlocks, LOL...stopped using / sold off most all of my center-fires to finance the builds.

Here in PA we have a 2 week regular firearms season and the first week, the woods look like they have been dusted with giant pumpkins with all the flourescent orange. (We call them the "Pumpkin Army) The day after Christmas starts our three week flint lock only season. I can hunt for days without seeing anther hunter.

What!...No orange...aint yea worried about git'n shot? :shocked2:

It's a wonder the PA game boys don't want us ta wears blaze orange underwear so when we has to relieve ourselves we won't get shot in the can! :rotf:

Flintlocks rock...never budge to concessions! :v

Anything I want to hunt with a high powered rifle or shotgun I use flintlocks..don't own anything else, but a .22lr and handgun.

Amen to that Zimmer; if it weren't for the flinter season I don't think I would hunt much anymore. I know a group that hunts pretty much every day of it. I can join in for a couple of Saterdays and go out myself a few times in the late afternoon.

Enjoy the season. :hatsoff:

Back