• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloader clubs around Austin Tx

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The White Smoke Brigade meets once a month near Brady for a more or less formal shoot.
I shoot almost every weekend at the Austin Rifle Club.
Most times ones, two or threes of us will meet up for breakfast and a morning shoot.
If you make it into Travis County (Austin) give me a yell, would be happy to take you there to shoot.
Drop me a Conversation for personal contact info.

White Smoke Brigade shoots 4th Saturday’s at 10 AM near Canyon Lake. The Texas MLRA shoots at Brady in March, June and October.

Anyone know of any shoots or clubs in the Austin area? I will be spending some time there this summer and would like to find some guys to shoot with.

I wish their were a few or good organized clubs. But alas the only organized club closest to us is White Smoke Brigade. About 45 min to an hour drive depending on where you live in this area. The best we seem to be able to do is get the word out to locals and hope they show up to shoot. Grizz has been trying diligently to bring us together but its sorta like herding cats.

I wish their were a few or good organized clubs. But alas the only organized club closest to us is White Smoke Brigade. About 45 min to an hour drive depending on where you live in this area. The best we seem to be able to do is get the word out to locals and hope they show up to shoot. Grizz has been trying diligently to bring us together but its sorta like herding cats.
True... But when we do gather even in small numbers, it's a lot of fun...

I haven’t shot with any local club around Austin since the late 70’s, early,early 80’s. Travis Volunteers ( their range is now part of a highway) and Hill Country Free Traders. I’m surprised Austin Rifle Club (as mentioned by Griz) hasn’t been forced closed yet to to all the urban sprawl.

I’m not much of a "social" shooter. Well social person for that matter. Heck I haven’t seen davidmc62 in what ? 5-6 years now?

Are you shooting anywhere now or part of any group in your area?
I shoot some at Best of The West between Liberty Hill and Bertram. My family has a ranch up near Brownwood so I shoot there quite a bit as well.

I’m not part of a club, mostly because there is not one very close. Now, we could form one. Maybe talk to the folks at Best of The West and see if we could make some arrangement with them. I’d be happy to honcho that talk, see what we could come up with. Seems to several of us around central Texas.

Pat

Pat,

Way back in the day Llano, Burnet, Marble Falls area was full of shooters. Most of em I knew are all dead now, which unfortunately happens.

I might would show up. Mebbe. Be there for immoral support. Just not into shooting much anymore just to be shooting/burning powder.

Who knows? I never know what I am doing from one week to the next.

I’ll bet if we start making smoke at a range that mostly does black rifle tacticool stuff (sorry mods), do a little talking it up, we could get a club going. On the road working right now, but when I get back, I’ll go talk to some folks and see what can be put together.

Pat

Here is a group you might want to get in touch with. They are Buckskinners and not a range club as such. My wife and I would drive down in Feb for their "Deep Winter rendezvous (it usually went into the 70's). I dont know that they have any organized "club" ranges as they move their activities from place to place. However, I would think they could put you on some "clubs."

https://www.buckskinning.org/groups_tab.htm

Here is another "skinner group called Comanche Peak Muzzleloaders. They are based near Glen Rose:

https://www.buckskinning.org/groups_comanche_peak.htm

Here is a list of Tejas clubs. I do not know how current it is:

https://www.buckskinning.org/texas_listing.htm

Last edited:
Hey Patrick. Right now I’m located between Austin and Dripping Springs. It’s at least an hour for me to shoot. Hope to be in Menard in a couple of months but would still make a few. Keep me I’m mind.

Einsiedler, it has been a few years but not sure about 5 - 6. When was the last Great Castell safari on the Upper Limpopo?
Pat, I would be interested in a local more regular shooting opportunity. Grizz is a member of the ARC and can organize "match shoots" that would not be membership required to shoot. But alas if you want to shoot there regularly, may have to join ARC. Grizz could expound more on that option.
Best of the West huh, been there once, was not impressed, too many black rifle shooters on the line to enjoy my time there. I prefer to take my time and enjoy the shooting and not be restricted to shooting off a bench. I am not opposed to range rules and range officers, but with muzzle loaders...I think you would probably need to talk to them and see if arrangements could be made.

Hey Patrick. Right now I’m located between Austin and Dripping Springs. It’s at least an hour for me to shoot. Hope to be in Menard in a couple of months but would still make a few. Keep me I’m mind.
Tom, what happening in Menard. Thats a little bit of window time behind the wheel.

Huntschool,

I imagine our trails crossed a time or two while at a TAB rendezvous. I was a member for quite a while. On and off from the late 70’s til about 2005 or so. Was just at their last Deep Winter event end of January over at Normangee

E

Einsiedler, it has been a few years but not sure about 5 - 6. When was the last Great Castell safari on the Upper Limpopo?
Pat, I would be interested in a local more regular shooting opportunity. Grizz is a member of the ARC and can organize "match shoots" that would not be membership required to shoot. But alas if you want to shoot there regularly, may have to join ARC. Grizz could expound more on that option.
Best of the West huh, been there once, was not impressed, too many black rifle shooters on the line to enjoy my time there. I prefer to take my time and enjoy the shooting and not be restricted to shooting off a bench. I am not opposed to range rules and range officers, but with muzzle loaders...I think you would probably need to talk to them and see if arrangements could be made.
I would not mind becoming a member of ARC at all. If they’d have me.

Best of the West has some of what they tactical bays...75 yard shots would be the max on those, but you could set up some fun shoots with no range officer.

Huntschool, thank you. I will look into those.

Tom, gotcha brother.

Gents, I’ll see what I can figure out.

Pat

Back