• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeNK

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Some time back in our local newspaper there was an article on a solution for cleaning muzzleloaders,it was an equal three part mix ,one part peroxide,one part Murphy'soil Soap and one part something else not sure but could have been alcohol.The article stated it worked really well,also my son has his first muzzleloader a .45 T/C Hawken, what's a good load for a pacted round ball. Any help would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks

George Kratzschmar
e-mail[url] GeorgeNK12excite.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
George, I shoot various TC Hawkens and first, FYI, TC has available for free an excellent owners manual that has load data in it for various calibers, balls, bullets, and Pyrodex & Goex powders...you might give TC Customer Service a call and they'll mail it to you...it's called:
Shooting Blackpowder Muzzleloading Firearms.

Having said that, 50-60grns of FFg or FFFg powder has been excellent for me in .45cal target loads.
I've used both Pyrodex RS and Goex...if BP isn't available locally, Pyrodex RS (FFg equivalent) works perfectly in percussions, however, if his .45 is a flintlock, then he'll need the faster igniting black powder for it.

FYI, I've settled on Hornady .440 round balls and .018" TC prelubed pillow ticking patches in my .45's.

George: Your post which included "...it was an equal three part mix ,one part peroxide,one part Murphy'soil Soap and one part something else..." is a subject I was just thinking of asking myself.

To begin with, I have seen similar formulas, and no, I don't remember what the missing ingrediant is, but ever sense I saw the first formula which contained Hydrogen Peroxide I have wondered "now why would anyone want to put that down his gun barrel?"

IMO the very thing that makes hydrogen Peroxide different is it has an extra Oxygen molocule loosely attached and what does oxygen and steel make? Rust.

There must be something I'm overlooking but I don't know what it is. Anyone out there with any thoughts on this?

Getting back to the question, a lot of people seem to think Windex or equivalent is really good for cleaning followed by a good gun oil.
I use water+dishsoap/dry patches/Sheith/paste wax.

Hey George...

That cleaning recipe has been around for a while. All the guys I shoot with have abandoned it because of the peroxide. They tell me hydrogen peroxide is an oxidant and can and will accelerate the rusting process if it isn't completely cleaned from the rifle. For me, I don't need anything else to worry about!! I never did use it as I still use boiling water. Perhaps someone with some real knowlede of that solution will chime in and let us both know.

Vic

The recipe I saw the 3rd part was Water. But there is no way I am putting peroxide in my barrels. All you need is Water & just a small squirt of dishwater detergent. I have cleaned them for Years that way & so have allot of the other ol timers & they will tell ya water is the best thing. If you want a lil Murphy's soap in it fine or a sqirt or Joy or Dawn but leave the peroxide out.

Some use alcohol (rubbing) as the third part of the mix,

Everyone

I really appreceiate the advice , I was also curious about peroxide.
as beeing a Mechanic in the Gulf of Mexico on an oil producing I sure know about rust.

Thanks again

George

Hydrogen Peroxide, chemical formula H2O2, is an oxidizer used primarily as part of sulfuric acid peroxide, and SC1 cleans.

Hydrogen peroxide is commonly sold as a 30% solution and has a density of 1.10Kg/L.

Hydrogen peroxide will burn eyes or skin on contact and may react strongly with other chemicals.

90% Hydrogen peroxide is used in rocket fuel...

I wouldn't add it for fear of it reacting violently with the other chemicals in the mixture...

What I find hard to understand is why people think a secret formula is neccessary. Black powder residue is water soluble. Therefore only water is needed to clean it out.
Water is what makes all the rest of the ingredients work. Take them away and keep the water and the formula will still work.
Add a little soap to the water and it helps it clean a little better.
People try and make it overcomplicated. At least for a patched round ball.
If you have melted plastic from a sabot, or copper traces then you may need something to eat that away. But I know nothing about that in a ML as all I've ever shot has been the PRB.
Even so, I think I would avoid the peroxide and go with a commercial bore solvent, followed by soapy water if such were the problem.

For a dollar a gallon it's hard to beat windshield washer fluid for cleaning followed with Ballistol.

The 3 part cleaning solution including H2O2 was published a few years ago in MB mag. I tried it and believe me it resulted in instant rust. Obviously I don't use it anymore. I think I read an article a few years back stating that this 3 part cleaning solution can be unstable and explode under certain circustances - don't recall what the circumstances are.

All Right,

I poured that peroxide stuff up the tail pipe of my Dodge pickem up. Lit a ton a matches and couldn't get thet stuff to burn no ways. Are you sure it was used as rocket fuel? I did have to put on a new tail pipe though after the one that was on the truck rusted out.

quote:Originally posted by Crow-Feather:
All Right,

I poured that peroxide stuff up the tail pipe of my Dodge pickem up. Lit a ton a matches and couldn't get thet stuff to burn no ways. Are you sure it was used as rocket fuel?
Didn't put enough liquid Oxygen down first, seen it, right off...
grin.gif

Good thing it was a Dodge, if it lit, you'd have to Dodge out of the way...

Crow Feather

First let me say "HOWDY" good to see you at this forum!!

Second thing is____ you should have "primed" yore Dodge pickem up with FFFFG!!

Works like a "charm" ever time_ but is a liddle "rough" on tha "eye brows"!!
grin.gif

Rocky Mountain Spring Water and Bear Oil___ "cleans and protects" rifleguns extremely well!!

AND!! "Neither" have ben shown to cause birth defects in Kalyfornia"s pregnent wimmins!!

Back