• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleload shotgun availability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to export guns from UK the export liscence from the board of trade There was no cost and I posted them freely it all Smells of political ideology came in all to a grand anti gun UN plan I have no doubt , Now you cant take guns as checked baggage from the US to NZ I gather' .Brave New World ' ? P on it !.
Rudyard

Here in the USA there is a very frightening and unremarked trend. The Congress passes legislation without good implementation details. Leaving unelected bureaucrats to fill in the blanks as they wish. And tell you what you may do and when and where. Makes the congressman's life easier. Can make yours hell.
Sometimes the law is what the Secretary of (fill in the department) or more likely his underlings, say it is.

Hi,
Here is my pheasant gun if I choose to use percussion.
ZmmBUyc.jpg

K3o0whv.jpg

nc0r2ae.jpg

DqTw5cH.jpg

rqbpJCg.jpg

ZnTuO7m.jpg

dave
Just wow! That, Sir, is exquisite!
Thanks for posting!
SFH

That top one makes me drool!
Could you please tell me what it is?
Thanks,
SFH
The top one in the image is a 14 bore sxs sporting flintlock ,there are no makers name but it is London proof . The bore size is on the large size for a sporting gun has most were of the 20 bore mark and smaller . I would put it at 1800 to 1820 enclosed is a side view image.
Feltwad
100_1727.JPG

please wipe them off after we get done OOGLEING AND DROLLING ON THEM! they are work's of art!! back in the day when they made sporting guns!!

I love that second one from the top😀 Over here in the states those would probably be in the 4k to 7k range. Just by guessing. I really wish we could import them at cheaper prices.

I own and shoot muzzle loading shotguns a lot. What I have found is that it cheaper to find an original in good shootable shape than to buy a new Pedersoli etc. Among my collection, I do have a 20 gauge double made by AMR that I was thinking of parting with sometime down the road pretty cheap. A prior owner added a modern recoil pad on it, but I bought a leather one to put over it so it looked more authentic (even though it is a modern reproduction). PM me if you may be interested. I even have some wads for it as well.
I am very interested in your double flint

Tastes and markets change over the years. In the 60's and 70's, muzzleloading shotguns were never as expensive as rifles/muskets. Plus, there was a fair selection of cheap (some cheaply made) "trade guns" supposedly sold to "natives" in jungles somewhere or other.

Agree whole heartedly on seeking out originals, whether they be English, Belgian, or German. Modern ones are just that - modern made on modern machines by machinists, not skilled gunmakers. Many have hand engraving, beautiful wood, perhaps gold or silver bands, etc. and can be found at reasonable prices.

Started out with shotguns because, frankly, I couldn't afford original rifles.

I have been using mine more every season. Extremely enjoyable.

Attachments

• 20210213_105535.jpg
    20210213_105535.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220117_071021.jpg
    20220117_071021.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 17
I am new to muzzleloading and have recently started looking at buying a shotgun for upland bird hunting.
I was frustrated to see how few manufacturers there are of shotguns and how expensive they are. Can someone explain this to me? I would have thought that BP shotguns would be quite common.
My first smoothbore was a Pedersoli Brown Bess carbine, I got it as a kit gun from Dixie Gunworks and was my introduction to flint. Great gun, I’ve taken 2 deer with it, but mostly it’s been used as a flintlock shotgun. For an 11 gauge, it’s done everything from dove loads up to goose loads. My favorite goose load in that gun is 90 grains ffg, and 110 steel T shot…very killer out to 40yrds +/-.

I have a Fusil de Chase, 42“ 20 gauge flinter, built by TVM. Beautiful gun, full curly maple stock, killed lots of rabbits, squirrels, doves. It’ll do everything that the Bess will do with less powder…though I’ve yet to take her hunting geese. 85 grains of ffg, heavy card wad over the powder and 2 ozs of 6 shot, light shot card…killer on turkeys out to 40 yards.

Neither of these guns are choked…shoot very well and I will never sell them

I have a couple double barrels that are amazing. One is a 10 gauge double made by Pieta, I was disappointed in this gun, because the guy selling it to me (bought it online) promoted it as a Pedersoli…but that gun has proved to be such an amazing goose gun…no complaints. Load it down and hunt doves, rabbits…quail, whatever…drop goose loads into it and take doubles on ducks or geese. Muzzleloaders are so versatile.

My other double is a light English stocked 20 gauge made by Pedersoli; great pheasant, quail, chukar gun. It’s very light and fast handling. I wish Pedersoli still sold them, I’d like 2 more for my grandkids…

I bought a single barrel half stock percussion 11 gauge to use as a loaner gun. It’s India made so my expectations were not high, and the price was such that if it was junk, I’d be upset, but not hurt. Wow, what a surprisingly beautiful gun…I had to replace one screw, and I got 2 spare nipples from Track of the Wolf, that fit nicely into the steel patchbox. It came with sling swivels, so carry’s very nice. Never did put a sling on the Brown Bess, and it does everything that the Bess will do, same loads, nearly the same performance. Still looking for that loaner smoothbore…

My dad has a .56 calibre TC smoothbore. That gun shoots hard and accurately…that’s becoming my #1 choice for turkey. It’s essentially a 24 gauge. It shoots very tight groups and hits hard. Short little gun is perfect hunting turkey with good solid patterns of 6 shot out to 35-40 yards. Another gun not made anymore, and getting harder to find.

You will find that the sxs guns from the 12 bore and smaller are the elite they are the ones in their day which were well looked after , but at the other end you have the large bore guns of which most have had a rough live mostly through the element on where they are used Most of this type of gun are used for fowling on the foreshore and inland marshes and the large ones such has punt guns were more referred to Has Tools Of The Trade. Most common were the double and single 7 8 bore the larger 6 and 4 bore and the 2 bore bank gun with there long barrels were ideal for goose shooting and could kill out to 70yards plus on the goose flights enclosed is a image of such
Feltwad
View attachment 67518

View attachment 67519
WOW! some of them are LONGTOMS!!!

The top one in the image is a 14 bore sxs sporting flintlock ,there are no makers name but it is London proof . The bore size is on the large size for a sporting gun has most were of the 20 bore mark and smaller . I would put it at 1800 to 1820 enclosed is a side view image.
Feltwad
View attachment 67901
PURDY, JUST PURDY!!!

D44017D3-4D04-47CD-95A4-CC774E808A59.jpeg

I was lucky enough to buy this for fairly cheap, has the I/M choke and came with 3 others.
Absolutely love shooting it.

Back