• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle of shotgun question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBeardNC

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I'm refinishing a CVA double barrel 12 gauge and I had to clean up the muzzles with a file.There were still a lot of machining marks on them. It left the crowns with very sharp edges. Does a thin shotgun barrel need a crown at the muzzle or should I just radius the edges over? Unrelated, but I was surprised to find that the case hardening on the tang is real and not chemically applied. Thanks for any tips.

All you will need is just a piece of emery cloth and you thumb to break the sharp edge. Just put the emery cloth over the muzzle and rub it around with a circular motion with your thumb.

For a 12 gauge that will be one big bolt made of brass to find not to mention expensive.

I have a brass tool made in my shop from a 1" round of brass, angled the front no idea the degree and turned a 3/8" shaft at the other end. Grinding compounded the front and turned it with a drill into the muzzle. It still needed some sandpaper on a thumb to make it nice and smooth entry for wads.

I will shoot a pic of it when I find it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back