• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzle Loading Vet back innaction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mntnhntr

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi All
Started Muzzleloading in then late 70 in Virginia and followed it on and off for many years.
I spent 22 years in the Marine Corps before retiring and another 20 working for the DOD.
With kids, work and life, I kind of lost track of it all.
We now split our time between Central Nebraska in the Spring and summer and S Central Texas in the winter.
Lot great clubs in Nebraska but haven’t found much in Texas .
I am amazed at how much muzzleloading has disappeared as far as the availability of supplies and guns.
Long gone are the days when you could walk into a store and find a plethora of
longguns and pistols to choose from and no need to mortgage the farm to buy one. I Went to three separate ‘sporting good stores“ and asked about muzzleloader and either they had nothing or I was shown a couple inline guns. Even Cabelas who used to have rows and rows of branded guns plus many other to choose from has little choice and zero stock.
But glad to be back in the hobby and now share it with my 4 grandkids. Looking at buying rifles for them and my wife as well.

Last edited:
Hi All
Started Muzzleloading in then late 70 in Virginia and followed it on and off for many years.
I spent 22 years in the Marine Corps before retiring and another 20 working for the DOD.
We now split our time between Central Nebraska in the Spring and summer and S Central Texas in the winter.
I am amazed at how much muzzleloading has disappeared as far as the availability of supplies and guns.
longguns and pistols to choose from and no need to mortgage the farm to buy one. I Went to three separate ‘sporting good stores“ and asked about muzzleloader and either they had nothing or I was shown a couple inline guns. Even Cabelas who used to have rows and rows of branded guns plus many other to choose from has little choice and zero stock.
But glad to be back in the hobby and now share it with my 4 grandkids. Looking at buying rifles for them and my wife as well.
The segment of the population that wanted such items has 'moved on', or aged out, so to speak! You're on the right track, good luck and have fun!

Welcome! I also dabbled a bit in black powder a long time ago, and can mirror your sentiments on how easy it was back then to actually find supplies... Back when you could find pistol and rifle kits hanging in the aisles in sporting goods stores. *sigh*

Hi All

hello Mntnhntr ,​

I know this is an old post from Jan.23 , just wondering if you have had any luck scoring any BP. guns for the Grand kids and the wife to date? If you could plan a trip back to Va there's a lot to be had at the pawn shops and small gun shops from Western VA to the peninsula area from my experience's of last 6 months of shopping. Just saying​

SGT.R

Back