• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzle Loading Guns, 1970's and 1980's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, where I live pretty much the only option I have is buy from an auction , yard sale, or estate sale. I really like some of the 70's era guns . I saw this the other day and was floored by what the bid was!View attachment 155167
Not sure what is so special about a T/C, but when this picture was taken it still had 40 minutes left and it was at $1,150.00. So some of you with 50 plus years of collecting may be sitting on the "mother load"...
there is one born every minute, but I'm not one of them!

Reruns of Davie Crockett and Daniel Boon!
That would work for you & I, and we are already here. To draw in new participation, it would need to be a Modern Remake…but without the “Woke”.

Tell the true story about those men, get rid of the politics, get rid of the woke narrative. Show our true American History, through the eyes of our nations greatest heroes.

Film it in a series, multiple seasons, along the lines of ”Texas Rising”, or ”1883” and “Lonesome Dove”. That would draw people into this hobby…that would do it.

Well, where I live pretty much the only option I have is buy from an auction , yard sale, or estate sale. I really like some of the 70's era guns . I saw this the other day and was floored by what the bid was!View attachment 155167
Not sure what is so special about a T/C, but when this picture was taken it still had 40 minutes left and it was at $1,150.00. So some of you with 50 plus years of collecting may be sitting on the "mother load"...
Wonder if this was some kind of fluke? Cheeze! Unbelievable!

That would work for you & I, and we are already here. To draw in new participation, it would need to be a Modern Remake…but without the “Woke”.

Tell the true story about those men, get rid of the politics, get rid of the woke narrative. Show our true American History, through the eyes of our nations greatest heroes.

Film it in a series, multiple seasons, along the lines of ”Texas Rising”, or ”1883” and “Lonesome Dove”. That would draw people into this hobby…that would do it.
Today's world, you'd have to put in the Native view, the anti-slavery view of course, (we know that was bad!) etc., etc. By the time the 'advisors' got done, it'd be a Disney fantasy with a Princess!

Being on the younger side and pretty heavy into BP, I only have 1 friend my age that shoots the traditional stuff. I'm 38 and have slowly been showing my 9yo the ropes. My state has been a tough one to find any trading rifles at all. And when i do find them mostly at pawn shops I've been picking them up when I can. Most I've ran into have sat on the shelf for yrs until I pick them up mostly due to the fact I hate to see suck beautiful rifles go to waste
Where I live regionally, there are no pawn shops like the old days.

Tho' it's not likely to happen again, back years ago we saw gunshows centered around collections (and collectible) things. Actually awarded prizes for displays and sales/trading brisk.

There may be such events today, but I'm not aware of them - at least large events. Most I go to are modern tactical, terribly overpriced milsurp, and unrelated junk. Anyway ,,,those were a good way for old guys to have a good time and thin herds.

Today's world, you'd have to put in the Native view, the anti-slavery view of course, (we know that was bad!) etc., etc. By the time the 'advisors' got done, it'd be a Disney fantasy with a Princess!
Not always…this one has exploded. And the WOKE crowd is very upset. Get these guys to put together the series, or someone like them

Our podunk scout camp had a .22 range.

I wonder if that still works.
My best buddy got chewed out as a Scout for ejecting his just-shot .22 shell without command from the riflery instructor. He wound up joining the Army right out of high school, patrolled the DMV all the way up North in Korea, then got orders for Vietnam where he earned 2 Purples, a Bronze, and was in heavy combat with the 199th Inf. Brig. They captured lots of cool arms caches with guns and machine guns from around the world; minty MG 42's, which he got the sight off of for a souvenir. (1970-era)

My best buddy got chewed out as a Scout for ejecting his just-shot .22 shell without command from the riflery instructor. He wound up joining the Army right out of high school, patrolled the DMV all the way up North in Korea, then got orders for Vietnam where he earned 2 Purples, a Bronze, and was in heavy combat with the 199th Inf. Brig. They captured lots of cool arms caches with guns and machine guns from around the world; minty MG 42's, which he got the sight off of for a souvenir. (1970-era)
That is a lot more "combat" then I ever saw, and frankly ,I did not miss it!

Tho' it's not likely to happen again, back years ago we saw gunshows centered around collections (and collectible) things. Actually awarded prizes for displays and sales/trading brisk.

There may be such events today, but I'm not aware of them - at least large events. Most I go to are modern tactical, terribly overpriced milsurp, and unrelated junk. Anyway ,,,those were a good way for old guys to have a good time and thin herds.
I could not have said it better. I remember those days. That's pretty much all you see at the local gun shows today. I think one of the reasons for the lack of traditional muzzle loaders (original or replica) at these shows is that the sellers have figured out that they get a larger pool of potential buyers going to the auctions. (And most pre-1898 original pieces). And there is no FFL requirements.
The Internet changed everything.

Rick

Found these pictures of two muzzleloaders I owned back in 80"s. Wish I had better quality pictures. Morse 12 Ga shotgun back of picture says $110 June 1982. I had a lot of fun shooting skeet with this gun. The other is a Morse 50 cal. rifle, back of pictures says $116 Oct 1982. Never shot the rifle much, it wasn't legal to hunt with where I lived. These were about the cheapests muzzleloaders you could buy back then. I was poor and didn't have the money to buy anything better. If memory serves correctly I got them from Dixie Gun Works.

Attachments

• muzzle1.jpg
    muzzle1.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 0
  • muzzle2.jpg
    muzzle2.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 0
Back