• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzle Loading Guns, 1970's and 1980's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about the guns getting worn out But Ime getting that way .Very pertainant issue we probably all have the" what best to do? question once we' pop our clogs' 'fall off the perch' or other wise 'shuffle off this mortal coil ' . I did once meet a man who assured me he was going to live forever . I still recall me camped on a stock route one morning when his courtage went by ..So very evidently he had got his callulation wrong .
.Ive heirs but only one takes interest in shooting . .A gentleman needs his battery of course , but I have no illousions I can take them with me . But I do know a wealthy film maker who can well afford to aquire the more archaic ones .since I learn he likes that sort (along with WW2 stuff .)But when to call it quits and let them go ?. So many being' my babies' or old friends . My niebour is 90 many of my peers never reached my age .Very difficult to pick a cut off date but many of us are getting to that point .
A thought full .
Rudyard

I have no heirs. This very subject has been on my mind for a few years now. I would hate for my collection of well cared for traditional AND modern arms to go to the scrap heap. No young people in my area ( I live in a deeply blue state) care about hunting/shooting. My wife will keep a few but sell the rest if I go first. If I go last, well the state will crush/cut up them. SAD.
Contact Track of the Wolf. Tell them what you have. They might buy or consign them for you. Also, there is The Log Cabin Shop and Dixie Gun Works.

I'm still healthy at 68, but my kids aren't interested in wood stocks.
My Dad and Uncle passed from Alzheimer's.
Your statement, at times, weighs heavily on my mind.
When, indeed...
I really, really wish that when I was younger someone had beat into my head to stop focusing on how much of my life I had lived, and taught me to focus instead on how much of my life I had left and how I was going to live it.

Being on the younger side and pretty heavy into BP, I only have 1 friend my age that shoots the traditional stuff. I'm 38 and have slowly been showing my 9yo the ropes. My state has been a tough one to find any trading rifles at all. And when i do find them mostly at pawn shops I've been picking them up when I can. Most I've ran into have sat on the shelf for yrs until I pick them up mostly due to the fact I hate to see suck beautiful rifles go to waste

My son, at 24, is finally showing an interest . Went to a gunshow with him this past winter . Later after the show he took me to several shops in his area of the state. He might be getting a little something for Christmas.

I really, really wish that when I was younger someone had beat into my head to stop focusing on how much of my life I had lived, and taught me to focus instead on how much of my life I had left and how I was going to live it.
Not about how many "days" are in your life, but how much "life" is in your days!

I follow the auctions and forums frequently. In the last say 2-3 years I've noticed a good deal of muzzle loading guns, both factory and custom from the 70's and 80's offered for sale.
Being 72 years old, I recognize many of these guns Just curious to ask if anyone else in my age range has noticed this ?

Rick
Absolutely, my friend! I'm in your age bracket, follow my local auctions that sell guns, and oft talk with friends about our advancing ages and what we wish to do with our collections. There's nothing more upsetting than seeing a nice collection left behind by a deceased guy, to be "looted" by know-nothing family or 'helpful lawyers', or 'stolen' by victimizing "dealers". Lets' more guys on here (or gals!) post their thoughts, too.

I hear all the same things regarding vintage or antique firearms in general. The young folks don't show much interest in them. My wife knows what to do with my stuff when the time arrives. Not just firearms and ammunition but my forty-year-old plus library and all my cool vintage wool hunting clothes. Two of our sons don't hunt, but they like to target shoot. We have seven granddaughters, and it is doubtful they will have much interest.

With that said, I use and enjoy my firearms and gear. I never saw the point in having "safe queens" or buying a firearm just to have it remain in the box never assembled. I'd rather enjoy them. What is the point of some stranger getting them and that guy saying "Boy, he sure took good care it. I don't think it's ever been fired."

I'd rather a son, granddaughter, or close friend have them and show them off and be told "Boy, your dad (or Granddad) sure knew how to take care of firearms."

As to the wool, I know how to take care of and maintain those as well. I have a 1950's era Woolrich 503 coat that I wear on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve mornings (or other days if it's real cold). I always get a double take from the young guys when they see it. But when they are walking back to their vehicles in their Wal-Mart or Bass Pro camo, I'm still at the base of the tree waiting for the buck that sneaked by them.

Last edited:
Contact Track of the Wolf. Tell them what you have. They might buy or consign them for you. Also, there is The Log Cabin Shop and Dixie Gun Works.
Well thankyou for the suggestion but Im'e half a world away in NZ however we do have auctions but relitivly few favour muzzle loaders . Rudyard

I hear all the same things regarding vintage or antique firearms in general. The young folks don't show much interest in them. My wife knows what to do with my stuff when the time arrives. Not just firearms and ammunition but my forty-year-old plus library and all my cool vintage wool hunting clothes. Two of our sons don't hunt, but they like to target shoot. We have seven granddaughters, and it is doubtful they will have much interest.

With that said, I use and enjoy my firearms and gear. I never saw the point in having "safe queens" or buying a firearm just to have it remain in the box never assembled. I'd rather enjoy them. What is the point of some stranger getting them and that guy saying "Boy, he sure took good care it. I don't think it's ever been fired."

I'd rather a son, granddaughter, or close friend have them and show them off and be told "Boy, your dad (or Granddad) sure knew how to take care of firearms."

As to the wool, I know how to take care of and maintain those as well. I have a 1950's era Woolrich 503 coat that I wear on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve mornings (or other days if it's real cold). I always get a double take from the young guys when they see it. But when they are walking back to their vehicles in their Wal-Mart or Bass Pro camo, I'm still at the base of the tree waiting for the buck that sneaked by them.
I must be one of the rare young ones because that's all I look for is vintage firearms. Clothing is all but non existent in my area

Well, where I live pretty much the only option I have is buy from an auction , yard sale, or estate sale. I really like some of the 70's era guns . I saw this the other day and was floored by what the bid was!
Screenshot_20220706-171012_Chrome.jpg

Not sure what is so special about a T/C, but when this picture was taken it still had 40 minutes left and it was at $1,150.00. So some of you with 50 plus years of collecting may be sitting on the "mother load"...

1st CVA I ever saw, was a kit in box, behind a display in a sporting goods store, for $70.00…anyone even remotely curious about muzzleloading, blackpowder & rendezvous could afford to take that leap.

You are absolutely correct…the out lay of money needed to even see if a person would want to try this hobby, is ridiculously expensive. Around a $1000 gets you a modicum of cheap equipment so you can barely get a peak under the tent. To see what this is all about…most people won’t take the risk. Most people can recognize quality, and quality is waning on some of the basic firearms available as entry level guns…the ones that are quality, the gun alone will top you out at $1000.

This hobby needs some sort of mainstream media to promote what it is that we do, and how much fun we have doing it…then the tables will turn, and we will suddenly start seeing young families again flooding into the rendezvous.

We can sit around the campfires at night and complain that there are so many people at these events, there’s no room for us…
Reruns of Davie Crockett and Daniel Boon!

Back