• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

MUZZLE CONING TOOL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintsteel

32 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
These precision made tools are the preferred way to cone the muzzles of roundball guns either rifled or smoothbore. Greatly eases starting the ball and the long cone allows the ball to be gently swaged into the bore without damage. I believe accuracy is unchanged. There are many guns that have been coned with this tool and I have never had anyone comment that the gun shot worse. Due to the long cone and close tolerances each caliber requires a specific tool. Most common calibers from .32 to .62 on hand. I can also make tools for unusual calibers.

$55.00 in the US postpaid for calibers up to .54 and $60.00 for .58 and .62.

Send me a note by clicking my name on the left and then click on “start a conversation”, which is private, for more information.

Joe Wood

Here is a 10 shot 50 yard target I shot from a coned barrel and old time hunting sights using a rest back when I had much better eyes. Rifle is a flintlock JP Beck style with a .50 caliber Getz barrel. The X ring is 1 1/4” across. The score was 100, 7X.
816746C9-4B56-4F30-BA95-E04402778D9A.jpeg

You might like to watch these three YouTube videos by Mike Bellevue Illustrating how to cone a barrel with my tool and the results he achieved at a target. These Videos were not solicited by me but Mike bought one years ago and decided to do a report on them.

Last edited:
“Joe

I could not be more delighted with the results I got using your muzzle coning tool. Following your directions to the letter the whole process took about 90 minutes. Now I have a York County longrifle that is all the more authentic (surely 18th century shooters never heard of a short starter), I can now reload much faster and the rifle’s accuracy is as good or possibly a bit better than before this modification was done.

Thanks for producing such a quality product and for the speedy delivery. I will most certainly recommend you to my muzzleloading friends..”

George

“Thanks, Joe.....

I have done quite a bit of research on the topic of muzzle coning and your product is always at the top of everyone’s list!

—Bill”

Thank you Mr Joe! Now to the range. Perfect, just like the instructions said.

Mr. Wood ,
.54 caliber coning tool needed. Will send check after I know you've seen this message.

Jeff Cauthen
136 Sykes Ave
Florence MS 39073

I've accidentally posted another conversation on here so please do not duplicate. Thanks.

Copied from a letter I received:

“Could I please order one of your barrel coning tools for a .62 caliber?

I also wish to commend you on your tools as the .54 tool I purchased from you in May has worked perfectly on every rifle I have used it on. Loading from the block is a snap, with no change in accuracy or even point of impact on my fixed sight rifles. Thanks for producing such an easy to use tool that gives such a good result!

Kyle”

Last edited:
Click on the person's picture and "start conversation" comes up on the lower right, click on it again when you're done to send it. To see your reply you will see a red number on the envelope in the upper right of the page next to your name, click on it.

Mr Wood
Been reading about you coning tool sounds like what I am looking for. Hope they are still available. Looking for a 45 caliber if available

Ronald Rothbauer

I tell you, these are the way to go!

There are tools out there by other makers who claim "multi-caliber" use, but personally I would only use a caliber-specific coning tool due to eccentric run-out of the jag to tool interfaces used on the other (lesser quality) tools.

Echo the comments from Flint62Smoothie and other users. I have use Mr. Woods' t .50 cal tool on a Track of the Wolf Southern Mountain Rifle and on a 1792 Contract Rifle I built. No discernible (to me) drop in accuracy. What I gained was speed and ease of loading and one less tool in the bag. I coned once, shot the rifles, and found I'd like a deeper cut and did that. All balls now start easily with the thumb and get driven home using the wooden poke stick. I'd have to see the research but I think for the type of rife I'm shooting and the time period (1800~1840) a large number of the these rifles were coned. That might partially explain shortage of of evidence of short starters in surviving original shooting bags.

I've been shooting muzzle loaders since the early 1980s. I began using a short starter because I thought that's the way it's supposed to be done....until I went on my first woods walk. I read about your coning tool in Muzzle Loader Magazine, and immediately bought one for my .54 caliber flint lock rifle.

The instructions were plain and simple. And the results were fantastic. I haven't lost any accuracy at all. And best part is I threw away my short starter.

I've been shooting muzzle loaders since the early 1980s. I began using a short starter because I thought that's the way it's supposed to be done....until I went on my first woods walk. I read about your coning tool in Muzzle Loader Magazine, and immediately bought one for my .54 caliber flint lock rifle.

The instructions were plain and simple. And the results were fantastic. I haven't lost any accuracy at all. And best part is I threw away my short starter.
When I first started shooting BP, I didn't know about coning either. When I did hear of it, I was skeptical it would ruin accuracy. It took a lot to convince me, being the stubborn guy I am. This forum, and Joe Wood, finally convinced me!

Back