• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MUZZLE CONING TOOL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I first made contact with Mr. Wood on October 16th. The gentleman was on vacation at the time and still made the effort to return my call. :thumb:

Upon the conclusion of his vacation Mr. Wood was extremely expedient in fulfilling my request for one of his coning tools and shipped it immediately. The tool arrived in short order, in excellent condition, along with clear concise and easy to understand instructions for the proper use of the tool. Mr. Wood was even kind enough to include a handy stencil that made cutting the abrasives to the correct shape and dimensions a breeze.

The tool functioned exactly as promised and is a welcome addition to my collection of tools. My short starter, on the other hand, now lives in my range box and no longer in my possible bag.

My thanks go out to Mr. Wood for providing a quality tool at a reasonable price. Well done!
After dealing with Mr. Wood myself, I believe that if everyone was as good and honest as him, we wouldn’t need political parties. 😉

I first made contact with Mr. Wood on October 16th. The gentleman was on vacation at the time and still made the effort to return my call. :thumb:

Upon the conclusion of his vacation Mr. Wood was extremely expedient in fulfilling my request for one of his coning tools and shipped it immediately. The tool arrived in short order, in excellent condition, along with clear concise and easy to understand instructions for the proper use of the tool. Mr. Wood was even kind enough to include a handy stencil that made cutting the abrasives to the correct shape and dimensions a breeze.

The tool functioned exactly as promised and is a welcome addition to my collection of tools. My short starter, on the other hand, now lives in my range box and no longer in my possible bag.

My thanks go out to Mr. Wood for providing a quality tool at a reasonable price. Well done!

This mirrored my experience with Mr. Wood. I could not be more pleased with his customer service.

I finally got to use the tool I got from him to cone the muzzle of a .50 caliber longrifle this morning. One thing I do want to mention is that he suggests using double-sided carpet tape, with spray adhesive as an alternative for securing sandpaper to the tool. I tried both and IMO, carpet tape is the right choice. The spray adhesive was messy.

I also put a bit more of a cone in my muzzle than the instructions call for, since I want to be able to easily seat the ball. I checked for fit using .020" patch material but usually shoot the rifle with .018" ticking and a .490 ball.

This tool is perfect!! Bought it in .54 cal to ease with loading and minimize patch cutting at the crown. It worked perfectly on all 3 of my .54’s and has no effect on accuracy at all. Just be patient and follow the instructions given. Joe is very easy to work with.

Another happy customer here! I coned the barrel on my .54 Kibler, and now it’s easy to load without a short starter. No change in accuracy that I can see. The process was almost foolproof. I’ll be buying more as I add additional calibers to the stable.

I finished coning my Kibler Southern Mountain .45 this morning. I started last night and stopped before I started to make any mistakes.

However, with the Coning Tool from Joe Wood here, it is pretty much impossible to make a mistake - SO LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

I have two more barrels to do, but I will be giving my arms and wrists a break for a day or two before starting on the next one. Frankly, I am taking Tylenol right now because my shoulder, head and back hurt from hitting a low limb while mowing the lawn yesterday afternoon. I spilled my pills all over in the morning while trying to get them in the daily dose box, and I twisted my ankle somehow. So if all that can happen to me, AND I STILL DID A GOOD JOB WITH THE TOOLS, you can, too. 😃

Thank you Mr. Wood. :thumb:

The Doc probably needs a Doc now. 😎

Hi My name is Jeff Davis and I see misplaced your address.please send it to me again and I will send the money out right away. Thanks Jeff Davis

Good service, good Quality and value. Mr Woods is a man to do business with. His tools are perfect for the job of coning your barrel. I recommend them

“Guys I coned everything in my house when I got Joe Woods aka Flintsteel coning tools. My God what a Joy start a ball without a darned short starter. Now my Traditions Hawkin Woodsman is a able to get shot alot when I was ready to put the darned thing on GunBroker because it was a Bear to load and tore the poo out of patches. Cone them all boys and let God sort them out

Got a 45 and 50 tool from Joe. Start off by saying he was wonderful, he shipped same day I mailed payment and they passed in the mail. Got here super fast. Took me a few hours, but got the 45 done. Follow his directions and it really is a simple project. Like so many other things, take your time let the tool an progressive grit changes do their thing. No need to get heavy handed. I then put rifle back together and hit range.

Zero change to group size or zero location on target! So much easier to load! I think I am in love!!! Time will let me get all my round ball guns coned. I only wish that every product delivered the way this one has. For me, with my gun, nothing has made shooting more entertaining and fun. Thanks for sharing your experience and a great product!

Got a 45 and 50 tool from Joe. Start off by saying he was wonderful, he shipped same day I mailed payment and they passed in the mail. Got here super fast. Took me a few hours, but got the 45 done. Follow his directions and it really is a simple project. Like so many other things, take your time let the tool an progressive grit changes do their thing. No need to get heavy handed. I then put rifle back together and hit range.

Zero change to group size or zero location on target! So much easier to load! I think I am in love!!! Time will let me get all my round ball guns coned. I only wish that every product delivered the way this one has. For me, with my gun, nothing has made shooting more entertaining and fun. Thanks for sharing your experience and a great product!
I'm no historian, but I'm told one thing missing from almost every old timers hunting bags was a short starter.

Not to sound like i'm a conformist, but i agree with the consensus: this is a "must have" tool ... i know of nobody who can actually document a loss in accuracy after coning a barrel ...

i would posit that you will be more accurate, because the rifle will be easier to shoot and you will be more likely to practice with it and become a better marksman.

just a thought

Got my coning tool from Joe yesterday,coned 2 rifles and a smooth bore with it.Shooting tomorrow,sure I had a smile when the ball starter exited my bag.

Shot my 54 rifle after using the coning tool from Joe,cannot tell any difference in how it shoots.Will try to get Joe to put picture of 3 shot group on here as I have no idea how to do it;1 shot a little off but had a little bit of a hang fire.Shot the group covering dots completely with front sight and cutting it loose when no dot could be seen.Target was a touch over 50 yards.Good shooting for me but sure a lot of you are much better shooters than me.

IMG_0682.jpeg

Latest posts

Back