MUZZLE CONING TOOL

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

flintsteel

32 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
For 30 years these precision made tools have been the preferred way to cone the muzzles of roundball guns either rifled or smoothbore. Greatly eases starting the ball and the long cone allows the ball to be gently swaged into the bore without damage. I believe accuracy is unchanged. There are many guns that have been coned with this tool and I have never had anyone comment that the gun shot worse. Due to the long cone and close tolerances each caliber requires a specific tool. Most calibers from .32 to .62 on hand. I can also make tools for unusual calibers. $52.00 postpaid (Canadian orders add $20.00 US—sorry).

Send me a note by clicking my name on the left and then click on “start a conversation”, which is private, for more information.

Joe Wood

Here is a 10 shot 50 yard target I shot from a coned barrel and old time hunting sights using a rest back when I had much better eyes. Rifle is a flintlock JP Beck style with a .50 caliber Getz barrel. The X ring is 1 1/4” across. The score was 100, 7X.
816746C9-4B56-4F30-BA95-E04402778D9A.jpeg

You might like to watch these three YouTube videos by Mike Bellevue Illustrating how to cone a barrel with my tool and the results he achieved at a target. These Videos were not solicited by me but Mike bought one years ago and decided to do a report on them.

Last edited:

flintsteel

32 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Received from a customer:

”Hey, Mr.Wood....

Let’s do it again! This time I need a .40 tool. I have placed in two shoots since I coned my .50. I’m happier than a pig in mud!

Rick”

flintsteel

32 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
“Joe

I could not be more delighted with the results I got using your muzzle coning tool. Following your directions to the letter the whole process took about 90 minutes. Now I have a York County longrifle that is all the more authentic (surely 18th century shooters never heard of a short starter), I can now reload much faster and the rifle’s accuracy is as good or possibly a bit better than before this modification was done.

Thanks for producing such a quality product and for the speedy delivery. I will most certainly recommend you to my muzzleloading friends..”

George

flintsteel

32 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
“Thanks, Joe.....

I have done quite a bit of research on the topic of muzzle coning and your product is always at the top of everyone’s list!

—Bill”

Col_Houston

32 Cal
Reaction score
Thank you Mr Joe! Now to the range. Perfect, just like the instructions said.

Reaction score
Mr. Wood ,
.54 caliber coning tool needed. Will send check after I know you've seen this message.

Jeff Cauthen
136 Sykes Ave
Florence MS 39073

I've accidentally posted another conversation on here so please do not duplicate. Thanks.

flintsteel

32 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Copied from a letter I received:

“Could I please order one of your barrel coning tools for a .62 caliber?

I also wish to commend you on your tools as the .54 tool I purchased from you in May has worked perfectly on every rifle I have used it on. Loading from the block is a snap, with no change in accuracy or even point of impact on my fixed sight rifles. Thanks for producing such an easy to use tool that gives such a good result!

Kyle”

Last edited:

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You might also put these also in the Classified section if you haven't already. I'd buy one based on the above..., BUT they don't wear out and I already bought one for my .54 several years ago 😀

LD

akroguy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
These tools work great! Bought a .50 and .54. Did two rifles today in a couple of hours. Highly recommended.

Walkaheap

32 Cal
Reaction score
Sir:
I must be missing something somewhere as I can't figure out how to start a conversation. I'd like to order a .50 cal tool. Thanks.

SmokepoleSam

40 Cal
Reaction score
Click on the person's picture and "start conversation" comes up on the lower right, click on it again when you're done to send it. To see your reply you will see a red number on the envelope in the upper right of the page next to your name, click on it.

Latest posts