• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muskets and Italian manufacturers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frod733

40 Cal
Reaction score
Looking to get a sense/review from folks here about the history of the Italian makers of rifled muskets from the past till now. Thinking civil war era repro's..
What companies actually manufactured the rifles/muskets? Ideas on quality of different manufacturers? Thinking ArmiSport, Euroarms, Chiappa, Pedersoli? Were some of them made by the same factories? Were there different quality standards? Were the "marketing" companies like Navy Arms, Dixie Gun Works, others, getting their guns from different sources? Curious mind wants to know. Thanks.

EuroArms went out of business and all the machinery and tooling was purchased by Pedersoli, who continued to make the same rifles and muskets.

EuroArms actually made very nice rifles with high quality stocks. I have a EuroArms .54 Mississippi and it's very well fitted and a tack driver.

Zoli pumped out seemingly a zillion Zouaves and Mississippi rifles , and others , and they are decent. You can find them for $300 if you look around, normally $500 for a nice one. They are solid, mid grade rifles.

ArmiSport/Chiappa "used to be" the cheapie maker of repro muskets and rifles, but they have really stepped up over the last 20 years. They make a very nice 1842 Springfield, and I have a Chiappa CS Richmond and it's very accurate. They make a nice barrel. The stocks are a stained light yellow colored wood, some kind of walnut? I don't know. The locks are very good. and mine is very reliable. I used to own a Chiappa 1861 Springfield that was scary accurate. My CS is also a good shooter but does better with round balls, it's weird. .575 Minies shoot well too. ArmiSport and Chiappa are the same company.

Pedersoli makes an extremely nice military musket and rifle. I have an 1816 Percussion conversion Springfield, a 1795 Springfield, a Charleville, and a CS Richmond. The stocks have an incorrect varnish but I don't care. I buy them to shoot. Also, Pedersoli makes a beautiful Hawken.

The Navy Arms-Zoli Zouaves from the early 60s, mines a '64, are strikingly beautiful rifles. The blued barrels are gorgeous. The brass is well finished. The wood to metal fit is near perfect. Pride was alive a well in Italy back then. Compare a 60s Zoli to a 70s Zoli and it's like night and day. Beware the original clearcoat finish. Tough stuff. I thought it would come right off using stripper. Nope! Had to work small areas at a time. Let it blister. Then gently scrape it off. Do a light scuffing with 150 grit sandpaper. Then stain. Trans-Tint is the way to go. Minwax will leave a beech stock looking muddy because it will not penetrate the grain. Finished with B.L.O. cut 50/50 with mineral spirits. A stock done in reddish brown really makes everything pop.

Good luck with your future purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_0882 (2).JPG
    IMG_0882 (2).JPG
    237 KB · Views: 0
Stantheman86 gave a glowing report on his Euroarms Mississippi rifle and he is spot on about it. I ordered one about 20 years ago from Euroarms because of the lower price. It is a .54 beauty as nicely fitted/finished as most custom rifles. I was not expecting that level of quality. The walnut stock is grand and the barrel is browned.

I find it a shame Euroarms is no longer in business as their apparent higher standards were excellent.

I have seen some Euroarms muskets over the years. Generally appear good quality. However, many times the fitting is not quite right. Locks inletted too deep, wood proud around the barrel tang, stuff like that. Don't know if they have bedding problems.

Someone mentioned Zoli. Had one of their Zouaves many years ago. It shot very well, very accurate.

Was Zoli a manufacturer unto themselves. Where do they fit into the ArmiSport, Euroarms, Chiappa, etc. string?

Yes. Antonio Zoli was a manufacturer. Distributors would contract with him to put their name on the rifle. If you come across a nice example under $450.00, jump on it. Just make certain the bayonet is removed first.

Zoli is, IMHO, better than the three you mentioned.

Stantheman86 gave a glowing report on his Euroarms Mississippi rifle and he is spot on about it. I ordered one about 20 years ago from Euroarms because of the lower price. It is a .54 beauty as nicely fitted/finished as most custom rifles. I was not expecting that level of quality. The walnut stock is grand and the barrel is browned.

I find it a shame Euroarms is no longer in business as their apparent higher standards were excellent.
That EuroArms .54 Mississippi is a tack driver with .534 Minies too, I got lucky. Also with .530 round balls and .010 patches. It just needs a taller front sight, the last owner "defarbed" it and made it into an "Arsenal Refurbish" with a ladder rear sight and it's armory bright.

Back