Musketeer Helmets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good place to get a replica cabasset helmet?

Morions are one of the iconic helmets of the pike and shot era, but I cannot seem to find any good references supporting their use with gun armed troops, only the pikeman. If anyone has a good historical source, I would love to see it. Replicas of this helmet seem to be way more numerous.

Reaction score
I was able to answer the second part of my question.
Period art of English musketeers(maybe calivermen) wearing them in Ireland: John Derricke's Images of Ireland, 1581 AD | Irish Archaeology
I found a reprinting of a image of John Bingham's The Tactiks of Aelian (1616), that shows it as part of the equipment. I could not find a digitized copy of the book, or a version for under $150, to verify.
In a book on English musketeers, I found prints of gun armed troops in the Spanish army of Flanders equipped with Morions, but I am struggling to find the provenance of the original images.
Finally, I found some mid 16th century art, by Jost Amman, that shows petronel armed mercenaries with them:
Petronelle, Jost Amman, _1560. kl.jpg
mercenary band.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good place to get a replica cabasset helmet?

Morions are one of the iconic helmets of the pike and shot era, but I cannot seem to find any good references supporting their use with gun armed troops, only the pikeman. If anyone has a good historical source, I would love to see it. Replicas of this helmet seem to be way more numerous.
BTW, remember the Three Musketeers candy bar? I guess it's been gone for some time. Good luck with your quest!

Reaction score
I believe they still make them. I had one while passing out Halloween candy last year. It was an unfortunate reminder that some candies are better when you are a child haha.

Looking into the items adjacent to matchlocks, like swords and helmets, has been quite the rabbit hole.

Reaction score
We all know that many items re-enactors use come from Pakistan, esp. leather work, etc. The floods there cover half the country! There may be more 'sourcing delays', etc. Just sayin' as a guess. The Pakistanis are an "ally", but problematic ones at that; when we went for Osama, we kept it secret from them because you know there would have been a "leak" of the info!

Reaction score
I will need to look into the quality of South Asian replicas. I saw there was a very active debate on their muzzleloading replica quality.

The joys of geopolitics. Pakistan used US military equipment to fight India using British military equipment, while India was unaligned, but also friends with the Soviet Union, because India hated China and needed a strong ally, but China was also the USSR's ally, but the USSR actively fought border conflicts with them. They also managed to fight a war while both possessing nuclear weapons.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I believe they still make them. I had one while passing out Halloween candy last year. It was an unfortunate reminder that some candies are better when you are a child haha.

Looking into the items adjacent to matchlocks, like swords and helmets, has been quite the rabbit hole.
yes and when you were a kid, all of the candy bars were soooo much larger/ bigger!!! what happened to there size?

Reaction score
yes and when you were a kid, all of the candy bars were soooo much larger/ bigger!!! what happened to there size?
Did the candy get smaller, or did we get bigger?

They do manage to invent continuous iterations of progressively smaller “fun sized” candy. Everyone has aspirations of being the house known for the full sized candy bars, until you pay for them the first year haha.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a Roman helmet, of course, but he can make anything. I only see him on FaceBook, though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221004-103201_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221004-103201_Facebook.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
THANKS,
I just bought one. myself. The one I bought doesn't come with chin strap nor liner, but I'm used to completing head-gear for reenactment.

LD
One needs to be careful whilst viewing the ads on etsy, to be sure for what it may include, or not. I saw Spanish Morion Helmets ranging from $55 to $100 or more. The one I got came from Crosby Designs and included the large red feather trim and a nice helmet liner.

Make SURE to have an old rag handy when opening, and open it outdoors, as it was covered (protected, really) in a heavy coat of stinky oil. But ... it cleaned off easily enough. For the price shipped (< $70) I am impressed with the quality!

This is not me by the way ... I'm much more handsome, LOL!

Spanish Morion Medieval Helmet​

Helmet.jpg

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One needs to be careful whilst viewing the ads on etsy, to be sure for what it may include, or not. I saw Spanish Morion Helmets ranging from $55 to $100 or more. The one I got came from Crosby Designs and included the large red feather trim and a nice helmet liner.

Make SURE to have an old rag handy when opening, and open it outdoors, as it was covered (protected, really) in a heavy coat of stinky oil. But ... it cleaned off easily enough. For the price shipped (< $70) I am impressed with the quality!

This is not me by the way ... I'm much more handsome, LOL!

Well as they say in Basic Training, I have a large grape..., 7⅝ - 7¾ hat size, depending on what type of hat. So it's possible it won't fit. But I can risk it at that price. IF it's simply way too small without the liner, I will complete it and then resell it.

LD

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well as they say in Basic Training, I have a large grape..., 7⅝ - 7¾ hat size, depending on what type of hat. So it's possible it won't fit. But I can risk it at that price. IF it's simply way too small without the liner, I will complete it and then resell it.

LD
JUST AS I FEARED...,
The thing arrived yesterday, and it does not fit me, nor can it be made to fit me. My son, yes he could wear it, but me, nope.
I shall install a liner and chin strap and sell it off I suppose...

LD