• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket nipple question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkabe

Gray Hawk
Reaction score
Hey guys, that includes gals as well, what purpose is the small hole in the cone of my musket nipple, picture included. Some have them others don’t. I can guess but would prefer to get a right answer from someone who knows.
Thanks

No picture attached in your question, but Butler Creek sells what they call a "Hot Shot" nipple that indeed has a hole up on the tapered side, see photo of a #11 type (standard size, not musket) nipple. The intent of the hole is to release gas from the ignition enough to split the standard percussion cap open - for easier removal, but sometimes they just drop off when fired or when the hammer is put to 1/2 cock.

But I wasn't aware they made a "Hot Shot" version for a musket size nipple, as that is a larger diameter nipple and where the cap has '4 wings' on them. Those come off or pull off easily due to the wings.

Perhaps what you have ... is a 'musket' arm with a #11 nipple installed that fits the thread of that percussion arm?

HShot.jpg

supposed to minimize back pressure, resulting in better ignition. Pretty commonly found in aftermarket nipples.

No picture attached in your question, but Butler Creek sells what they call a "Hot Shot" nipple that indeed has a hole up on the tapered side, see photo of a #11 type (standard size, not musket) nipple. The intent of the hole is to release gas from the ignition enough to split the standard percussion cap open - for easier removal, but sometimes they just drop off when fired or when the hammer is put to 1/2 cock.

But I wasn't aware they made a "Hot Shot" version for a musket size nipple, as that is a larger diameter nipple and where the cap has '4 wings' on them. Those come off or pull off easily due to the wings.

Perhaps what you have ... is a 'musket' arm with a #11 nipple installed that fits the thread of that percussion arm?

View attachment 187919
What’s on my rifle (TC Gray Hawk) now is a 1/4X28 thread musket nipple I put on to go deer hunting. It came with a #11 nipple of course, and I had no ignition problems with that. But being obsessive compulsive I had to make it better and I tried a small rifle primer gizmo that was finger fumbling so I went to the musket nipple which I think I like as they are easy to handle. Thanks for your response and everyone’s as well!
Pic.

Attachments

• A59521E7-3E9D-4AD6-BD8B-6A76E003E264.jpeg
    A59521E7-3E9D-4AD6-BD8B-6A76E003E264.jpeg
    584.6 KB · Views: 0
Back