• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket Minie-Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
I seen a .69 caliber minie-ball and thought, WOW, what a chunk of lead that is... :shocking:

Has anyone shot a minie-ball larger than .58 caliber?

cs69gardner.jpg.JPG

Confederate .69 caliber Gardner bullet - very pristine and had to find bullet - shallow base - M&M#168 (MASON and McKEES)- dug Fredericksburg, Virginia.

Haven't shot 69 Minnie....everybody I know has the smoothbore, so we make up buck'n'ball and buckshot loads for them, as well as regular round balls.....I would think it's most effective in a rifled barrel, but I'd be willing to give her a whirl sometime, be interesting and give me an excuse to get out to the range! :)

Musketman and others,
I have shot a few artifacts through my repro. 1842 smoothie. I am lucky to live in the middle of the second most active Civil War location, southwest Tennessee. I could not resist firing a few drop quality.69 three ringers. I dug them from the Confederate retreat to Corinth , Miss from Shiloh. A waste of a artifact, sure, but it was my call. Now I can say I have fired a real .69 press lead bullet.
However, I would not fire the .69 Gardner you have pictured. I can dig the common .69 three ringer, cone base at a 100:1 ratio, to the steel cupped pressed .69 Gardner. those rounds fetch $65-$90 each, depending on condition. That bullet was made for smoothbores and rifle barrels. In theory the steel cup that held the paper and powder forced a mushrooming effectwhen fired. The same theory behind the box wood plug base .69 Mississippi rifle round. That bullet looks like a huge two ring Enfield round and will fetch $100 and up for excellent examples.
The Holy Grail of .69 cal bullets are called Missouri Hogs, a .72 cal single ring, deep based cone style bullet. Again looks like a huge single ring Enfield bullet.
The only thing that I will lay my traditional smokepole for, is to pick up the metal detector and find the real stuff.
Smokeblower

YES- I have or rather HAD the Lyman mould for that minnie bullet. It went to my buddy Brad along with the rifle. That mould casts the original 730gr. .69 cal minnie- original shape.
: This minnie was meant for the rifled .69's NOT for the smoohbores & came out after the government switched to the .58's & then recalled and rifled the .69 muskets still in stores, right down to the model 1822's.
; The 3 groove .69 minnie is pictured below the .684" round ball. A standard 12 bore Foster Slug is below the .69 minnie ball. To the immediate left of the .69 minnie, is the HB slug form the mould I bored using an 11/16" re-ground drill bit. I roll the slugs with a rasp on towels, then lube with Beeswax/Vaseline for repeated shooting without needing to clean or swab the bore for at least 5 shots. This adjustable mould is still in my possession, and casts .688" HB slugs of weights from 580gr. to 1,200gr. They kick! For comparrison, the .58 minnie, original 500gr. is pictured to the right, with a 750gr. .577 Nitro FMJ below it. The slugs to the right of those, is a Ballet 180gr. in .45 along with a 200gr. REAL for the .45.
: The ball on the far left, is a 4 bore ball, measuring just over an inch in dia. The flattened one above the 4 bore ball, is a recovery from the 300 meter dirt bank. The flattened .735 RB, second form the left, is one recovered from the off side of a Bull Moose after holing ribs on both sides plus both lungs. The shot was taken at approximately 100 yards from a Comercial Bess in the early 1980's.
Ball from4boreto140 bore.JPG

Used to shoot the big .69 Minies in my old Potsdam .70 musket smooth bore. They worked great for the stake-busting game. When we shortened the range at an event held in an enclosed area I loaded the booger in backwards and told my team to aim for where it hit. Needless to say, we won! Splinters galore...wee doggies!! :crackup:

I shot a 42 rifled musket in comp for a few years. They will shoot about as well as a 58 out to 200 yd. Bad thing about the .69s minne is mould slection. The old Lyman/Ideal 750 gr in .685 dia. And the Rapine look alike or the semi-wadcutter in .685 and 690 dia. Thr semi wadcutter is last minne on the right [Russ,looks like your pellet]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/minnes2.jpg

Jim

Latest posts

Back