• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Musket Loading Procedure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackP

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The more I read and study the more confused I become.

How did the military load using paper cartridges?

.69 cal. Charleville for example. Is the ball dropped in naked or wrapped in paper?
I need to know before I order ball mold.

Thanks
Jack

I can speak for the British military practice for loading the King's Musket.

The loading procedure is documented in many of the descriptions of the loading in the Manual of Arms.

To begin the cartridge is loaded with a ball and powder in a paper tube. The tube is sealed by tying off the to top and a string tie or a twist of the paper to separate the powder from the ball. The ball end may be dipped in a grease. The paper wrapped cartridges are loaded in the cartridge box.

Loading:
A cartridge is removed from the cartridge box.
The tail is bitten off to expose the powder.
A small amount of powder is poured into the pan and the steel is closed over the pan.
The musket butt is placed on the ground with the muzzle forward.
The powder is poured down the barrel.
The part of the cartridge with the ball may then be inserted into the muzzle or turned over and placed in the muzzle. The excess paper can then be torn off.
The ramrod is removed and the ball is rammed to the breech.
The ramrod is replaced in the thimbles.
The musket is brought to the position of recover.
At the command of make ready the musket is brought to full cock.
At the command of present, the musket placed on the shoulder in firing position.
On the command of fire, the trigger is pulled.
After firing the musket is brought to recover for the next command to start the reloading process.
The pan may be wiped with the cleaning brush and the touch hole picked.

The ball is considerably undersized for ease of loading. We use a 0.715" or even a 0.690" ball in our King's Muskets which have a bore of 0.750" to 0.770".

I'm thinking that the ball for a Charleville would be no larger than 0.640" and as small as 0.620" when wrapped in a paper cartridge.

The military was not interested in accuracy on target, but getting the greatest amount of lead down range toward the opposing line of infantry.

Please note:

Priming the pan before loading a charge in the barrel is not a safe practice and the answer provided was only in the context of how the military in the 18th and 19th century loaded their flint lock muskets when using a paper cartridge. Musket barrels get pretty hot when loaded rapidly, 3 to 5 shots a minute is rapid fire. The black powder will foul the bore pretty quickly and there is real possibility for an ember to be retained or the lock to fall from a half cock position. A charge can go off unexpectedly. This is not a practice to followed in the present day. Priming the pan should only take place when the musket is being prepared for firing.

This is the standard that used as reinactors in general.
French and American is a little different. Prussia used a large touchhole, after shooting one half cocked and closed the frizzen. And when ball rammed it filled the pan.
As G says prime separate, you have the time.

I use a .648 ball in a regulation sized cartridge paper in my .69 smoothbores.

I lube the ball end with usually SPG or whatever I have.

I pour the charge and ram the paper wrapped ball down the bore.

Also.......I have loaded with loose powder from a measure, dropped a .648 ball down the pipe then rammed a wad of paper down on top of the ball.

Both work well, cartridges are more convenient and "correct" however both methods were historically used by American forces in the Revolution, however they would have used paper cartridges or just poured powder direct from the horn into the barrel and dropped a loose ball down, likely skipping the wadding in heated combat and simply "leveling" the bore and firing since speed of fire was key here.

Thanks, you wouldn't want it pointed at you face while using this technique.

Jack
I use a .648 ball in a regulation sized cartridge paper in my .69 smoothbores.

I lube the ball end with usually SPG or whatever I have.

I pour the charge and ram the paper wrapped ball down the bore.

Also.......I have loaded with loose powder from a measure, dropped a .648 ball down the pipe then rammed a wad of paper down on top of the ball.

Both work well, cartridges are more convenient and "correct" however both methods were historically used by American forces in the Revolution, however they would have used paper cartridges or just poured powder direct from the horn into the barrel and dropped a loose ball down, likely skipping the wadding in heated combat and simply "leveling" the bore and firing since speed of fire was key here.
Thanks.
Jack

Back