• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lfpdlt

40 Cal
Reaction score
My father in law recently inherited this musket and I am trying to help him identify it. I do not have calipers here so I cannot measure the bore, but it is rifled. The only marks are the 3 proof marks on the octagonal breech, which look kinda British, but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
DA4F68B5-3FD7-435F-9D8F-4CFF7CBAD4A1.jpeg
CEF6C56A-C0E1-41BD-BDB3-C9D69E8E78E9.png
9B23DFB1-662F-4F02-A9A9-DEB2F9A4AD33.jpeg
2A01136F-4698-4F95-9CAE-D01EBF1B81FE.jpeg
D787D8B4-A34A-48C9-A184-39CCEDF34591.jpeg
E6223C7D-EA86-48C2-8766-90ACE17F4CD0.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that's Eibar, Spain. Folks may say it's Liege, but the Liege crown I don't think showed the full circle on the base while the Eibar does. Now most books show Eibar 1910 onward, and that's the "temporary black powder barrel proofing mark", and the date is 1910. Which I think is the date that Eibar became part of the international proofing treaty, so the mark could've been used prior to that. OR what you have is a Spanish repro of something.

UNKNOWN PROOF MARK.jpg

LD

It's a Bavarian M1858 Podewils Rifle-Musket. This one was actually converted to a breechloader (M1858 Podewils-Linder) and then reconverted back into a muzzleloader. Converting breechloaders to muzzleloaders is usually indicative of the arms being slated for sale in Africa or Asia after their military service.

It's a Bavarian M1858 Podewils Rifle-Musket. This one was actually converted to a breechloader (M1858 Podewils-Linder) and then reconverted back into a muzzleloader. Converting breechloaders to muzzleloaders is usually indicative of the arms being slated for sale in Africa or Asia after their military service.
Very interesting, thank you sir.

Back