• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Musket caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have only used #11 caps in other rifes. I was given a tin of CCI 4 wing Musket caps that say "for reenactment use". Just got a gun with musket nipple and would want to use them for hunting. Are they hot enough for reliable ignition? Thanks.

Not in my opinion. They are designed for use with blanks and are quite weak thanks to a reenactor suing CCI. They "might" work, but don't expect accuracy out of them. I shoot muskets in competition and I wouldn't have them in my box.

Not in my opinion. They are designed for use with blanks and are quite weak thanks to a reenactor suing CCI. They "might" work, but don't expect accuracy out of them. I shoot muskets in competition and I wouldn't have them in my box.
If anyone has this re-enactor’s name it should be made public so he can be shamed.

Dave,
I just purchased some Spanish musket caps because that is all I could find. They have not arrived yet. Am I going to be sorry? The vendor did not specify the brand, only that they are Spanish.
Thanks
Larry

Dave,
I just purchased some Spanish musket caps because that is all I could find. They have not arrived yet. Am I going to be sorry? The vendor did not specify the brand, only that they are Spanish.
Thanks
Larry

No, those are Schuetzen caps and work fine. The only issue you might encounter with them is that they are made from a slightly harder metal than RWS. That doesn't mean they aren't up to the job. What might happen is the nipple on your gun may need a slight alteration in it's geometry for reliable ignition. It's nothing more than a light polishing of the angle. I've done it to all my competition guns and have no misfires.

I've used the CCI re-enactor caps in my Pedersoli enfield repro and a Shiloh percussion sharps. They worked just fine (i.e., made the guns go boom). I prefer the RWS caps because they seem a little hotter. I think CCI just redesigned them so they don't shatter and hit your re-enactor buddy next to you in the eye.

I've used the CCI re-enactor caps in my Pedersoli enfield repro and a Shiloh percussion sharps. They worked just fine (i.e., made the guns go boom). I prefer the RWS caps because they seem a little hotter. I think CCI just redesigned them so they don't shatter and hit your re-enactor buddy next to you in the eye.

They also changed the priming compound so that they're nowhere near as hot or powerful. Yup, they'll make a bang, but that's about all. Accuracy in live fire is not in the conversation about blanks.

No, those are Schuetzen caps and work fine. The only issue you might encounter with them is that they are made from a slightly harder metal than RWS. That doesn't mean they aren't up to the job. What might happen is the nipple on your gun may need a slight alteration in it's geometry for reliable ignition. It's nothing more than a light polishing of the angle. I've done it to all my competition guns and have no misfires.
I thought Schuetzen was German. Help me out here?
Larry

Don't know about blanks, never shot them. Or re-enacting either, never done that. But I didn't notice any great accuracy difference between CCI or RWS musket caps.

If you care about the X ring, you'd see it. In head to head testing in my muskets, CCI had more flyers and larger groups.

I hope youre just kidding

IF it was a frivolous lawsuit, I am not.
I am sure someone here knows the particulars of the case. I have not been able to find any.

How many times have we heard of some item that is known to potentially have some associated hazards that has performed well and safely for decades, then someone has some injury related to the product; and said product is altered so that it is nearly useless or pulled from the market altogether.
All because of ONE PERSON, who ruins it for thousands of happy users who have had no problems with the product at all.
So the “ victim “ collects a nice settlement, and remains the nameless “ guy that sued” who probably could not care less about how his actions negatively impacted thousands of other previously satisfied customers.
Naming And Shaming could have some needed future impact on a lot of lawsuits.

I only buy the RWS musket caps...when I can find them. Things will be available again at some point, so I'm not going to settle for lesser quality caps. That's like saying I'll take a Shasta Cola when I want a Coca Cola!

If you care about the X ring, you'd see it. In head to head testing in my muskets, CCI had more flyers and larger groups.

dave, what distance are you talking about and how much of a difference does it make? I ask because I have been using CCI musket caps with results that work for me. Granted, I am not and likely will never be a competitor. If I can make smallish groups at 60 or 70 yards with PRB in my farby 70s Zouave and make unsupported field hits at those ranges that will kill a deer, I am plenty happy. What am I missing?

dave, what distance are you talking about and how much of a difference does it make? I ask because I have been using CCI musket caps with results that work for me. Granted, I am not and likely will never be a competitor. If I can make smallish groups at 60 or 70 yards with PRB in my farby 70s Zouave and make unsupported field hits at those ranges that will kill a deer, I am plenty happy. What am I missing?

This is a discussion we were having this weekend. How it matters, and this is no reflection on your type of shooting, is that when talking about accuracy it's imperative to use a set standard like moa. To say they give you smallish groups at 60-70yd that you're satisfied with or will hit a deer means you have no point of reference to actually gauge what's happening. We shoot at 50 and 100yds. If group size doubles at 100, that will absolutely make the difference between winning and losing but it will still put bambi in the freezer. Here's an analogy from the automotive world- regular gas will get you around town, but is garbage in a high performance hemi Cuda or Boss Mustang. If you care about best accuracy, stay away from CCI, end of story. If you don't, well, ok.

IF it was a frivolous lawsuit, I am not.
I am sure someone here knows the particulars of the case. I have not been able to find any.

How many times have we heard of some item that is known to potentially have some associated hazards that has performed well and safely for decades, then someone has some injury related to the product; and said product is altered so that it is nearly useless or pulled from the market altogether.
All because of ONE PERSON, who ruins it for thousands of happy users who have had no problems with the product at all.
So the “ victim “ collects a nice settlement, and remains the nameless “ guy that sued” who probably could not care less about how his actions negatively impacted thousands of other previously satisfied customers.
Naming And Shaming could have some needed future impact on a lot of lawsuits.
I get it and i agree. But we ought to know the specifics before we publicly whip or stone the guy.

Latest posts

Back