• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard the standard musket caps were too loud, but a lawsuit due to shrapnel makes more sense, since reenactors don’t wear eye protection like shooters do.

I guess I can be the odd man in this but I use CCI " reenactor" musket caps to live fire and have not had the problem of bad caps .
Those 6 wing caps that CCI had was dangerous. If the caps set off a blank charge then where is the difference in setting off a live round,
it is all black powder after all.

I live fire too, but I really, really care about accuracy since I shoot competition. If you’re just chucking lead down range and aren’t worried about being the best shot possible, go ahead and use CCI. There are documented issues using CCI for accurate shooting.

Again, the conversation needs to have a fixed point of reference in regards to accuracy. Just saying they work is meaningless. The only reference that is usable is MOA.

This is a discussion we were having this weekend. How it matters, and this is no reflection on your type of shooting, is that when talking about accuracy it's imperative to use a set standard like moa. To say they give you smallish groups at 60-70yd that you're satisfied with or will hit a deer means you have no point of reference to actually gauge what's happening. We shoot at 50 and 100yds. If group size doubles at 100, that will absolutely make the difference between winning and losing but it will still put bambi in the freezer. Here's an analogy from the automotive world- regular gas will get you around town, but is garbage in a high performance hemi Cuda or Boss Mustang. If you care about best accuracy, stay away from CCI, end of story. If you don't, well, ok.

Thanks. I am an unmentionable reloader as well and plenty familiar with MOA as a measure of accuracy. With a muzzleloader that has no optics, my vision is simply not good enough to be worried about real fine measures of accuracy. I certainly will not give you a run for your money in competitions. I have a bunch of RWS caps that I will get into, but the few tins of CCI that I bought before everything disappeared I will burn up in my casual shooting. It will be interesting to try some of the better caps as I fool around with different minies and and conicals.

Back