• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Musket caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Where to source good musket caps?
For shooting and hitting, not "Re-enacting"

Our local sporting goods store stocks them right along with #11's, getting his from the same sources he gets his centerfire primers and powders. I'm betting your local store could do the same.

No, I am not even using musket caps at this time, but I want to convert one of my rifles to musket caps strictly because they are easier for my old fingers to handle in the field.

I have read a lot about the poor quality of re-enactor caps.

Anyway, Powder Inc. has RWS and Scheutzen musket caps.

Last edited:
No, I am not even using musket caps at this time, but I want to convert one of my rifles to musket caps strictly because they are easier for my old fingers to handle in the field.

I have read a lot about the poor quality of re-enactor caps.

Anyway, Powder Inc. has RWS and Scheutzen musket caps.
I plan to get out to the range with my Enfield and Whitworth in a few days.

That will be a good time the see how the re-enactment caps work.

I have heard about problems with the reenactor caps as well, but it was all I could get at the time and have had no issues with them.

Here is a great source of caps and powder. I have bought all my caps and powder from him for more than 40 years and he supplies most of the N-SSA shooters. Jackie is a GOEX distributor, ships and I've never know him to be out of anything. I have never used any brand of musket cap except RWS nor would I. If I were ever to hunt I would convert my rifle to musket caps just for the ease and speed or recapping.

https://www.blackpowderva.com/

Hornady makes dual purpose caps now for CW muskets that use the 4 wing caps. I have used them with zero issue shooting (I dont reenact) and hunting

I tried musket caps on my Zouave, but went back to a No.11. I wanted to try them because the rifle came with both nipples. I found the musket nipple to back flash too much. Sometimes enough to set the hammer back and burning the stock finish. 2F powder, 70 grains, 575 Minnie.
I got the caps from Dixie Gun Works several years back.

I meant CCI not Hornady, apologize. Which makes me ask the question as I dont know. Will the number 11's even fit on the repro nipples of, for example a Euroarms or Armisport Enfield?

Our local sporting goods store stocks them right along with #11's, getting his from the same sources he gets his centerfire primers and powders. I'm betting your local store could do the same.

At Gun Shows they are $20 to 25 for a snuff can sized tin. Used to get them for FREE in the 90's from my reenactment group. Recently, I am trying to get back into the hobby. Going to change my Musket to use pistol caps - much cheaper and easier to get.

Here is a great source of caps and powder. I have bought all my caps and powder from him for more than 40 years and he supplies most of the N-SSA shooters. Jackie is a GOEX distributor, ships and I've never know him to be out of anything. I have never used any brand of musket cap except RWS nor would I. If I were ever to hunt I would convert my rifle to musket caps just for the ease and speed or recapping.

https://www.blackpowderva.com/
It is worth traveling to Winchester, Va. to the NSSA. I never joined-but a fellow re enactor kept me up on when they had MEGA SUTLERS there. I built a Whitney and a 61 Rich Muskets from scratch from parts I bought there. They had EVERYTHING Black Powder related. JUST SAYIN'.

Back