• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket caps vs #11

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegrass

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Like everywhere else, caps are scarce around my parts. If I can find a good load of musket caps, is there any reason not to invest in a musket cap nipple for my TC Hawken so I can shoot whatever kind of caps I can get my hands on?

Musket caps will be hard to find too. There is also the issue that sometimes the musket caps and the much larger nipple will be too large for the recess in your hammer. So, unless you have a musket designed for musket caps, I don't believe they are worth the extra cost.

Interesting. I’m asking because there’s a local shop that does have a mess of musket caps in stock, but if I recall they are marked re-enactor. Also I don’t know if they’ll fit in the recess of a TC hammer and I doubt they’ll let me open a tin to check.

The Reenactor caps don't have a great reputation. Seem to be barely adequate to fire blanks. You will be better served by looking for the Schuetzen brand caps. The CCI musket caps are generally not recommended by members of the Forum that use musket caps.

Interesting. I’m asking because there’s a local shop that does have a mess of musket caps in stock, but if I recall they are marked re-enactor. Also I don’t know if they’ll fit in the recess of a TC hammer and I doubt they’ll let me open a tin to check.

If your hammer/nipple geometry is good musket caps will work fine. When the hammer is at rest on the nipple if the nipple is nearer one side of the hammer recess you may have problems.

I put a musket nipple in a TC Hawken I had many years ago and it worked fine. I wasn't even thinking in terms of the hammer fitting, etc. back then, I just found a musket nipple of appropriate thread, screwed it in, and went to town. It always worked, but I'm not sure if that was luck or if the hammer on the TC just had a large enough cup in it to fit the musket caps. I sold the gun years ago, so no way to tell.

Thanks for the replies. I stopped by the LGS again today and they’d sold out of musket caps so it’s a moot point now. But I did get another 3 tins of #11 caps so I’m not that upset.

Funny . . . in shooting my Pedersoli Enfield I've had more problems with the Scheutzen caps than I have with CCI. I guess your mileage may vary.

I have used a musket nipple in my t/c renegade and Hawkins but have since switched back to the # 11 nipples in both guns. I think ignition is better with the schuetzon #11 caps. I have had more misfire problems after multiple shots at the range with musket caps , I think because of the foil that they use to seal the fulminate inside the cap can plug the nipple. I have also had a misfire when deer hunting with musket caps that cost me a deer. It was my own fault as I had been hunting in a wet heavy snow the night before and should have cleared the load, cleaned the gun and reloaded the night before. After pulling out the nipple and trickling some powder in under the nipple it went off but not without some hang fire.

Those POS CCI caps can be used along with a nipple primer (TOW Primer-B) to clear the fire path. Works like a charm on my Sharps and saves musket caps.
Years ago I had an 1851 Mississippi Rifle original and used a modified musket nipple cut to use those corrosive pistol caps . Musket caps were non existent then.
Bunk

Latest posts

Back