• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket Cap on TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When #11’s become very scarce, I switch nipples on either my HC or CVA rifles for muskets caps and wonder if I’ll go back to #11. Definitely a stronger flash and once in a while it will flip the hammer back to it mid-point latch on the CVA. I’ve been in the habit (when using #11) of firing off at least two or there caps prior to first load, to many misses with first #11 cap on a newly cleaned rifle. Never needed with the musket cap. (Kind of an old age memory fix). Should not be difficult to find musket nipple.

In this day and age I am prepared for my BP T/C New Englander to fire either 209's, Musket Caps, 11's 10's even the adapter for SP primers. It just makes sense. I have not noticed any deep deficiency from any of them.
Frankly, after all is said and done for me is, I prefer Musket caps.
Can you pass on any further info regarding the New Englander utilizing 209 primers? Very interested.

Nope. Just bought 4k

Very few retail stores carry them.
I lucked into several thousand RWS musket caps on a Bass Pro bargain table about 12 years ago for about $1.25 per 200 count plastic container. Bought several dozen cans. Have only used about 75 of them on a Pietta Smith .50. Caliber carbine. Am set for life when I get a rifled musket.

Can you pass on any further info regarding the New Englander utilizing 209 primers? Very interested.
It's just a conversion nipple. It has a recess in it for a 209, then you screw on a cap with integral firing pin. There are a few brands around, but I think the best known is Mag-Spark. They're not my cup of tea, but they work well. I can understand the advantages.

MAG-SPARK, for instant ignition of all powders and propellants | Warren Custom Outdoor - Unique Made in USA products for the outdoorsman

Given the current availability of certain things, I was wondering if it would be a good move to get a Musket nipple for my TC Hawken and using Musket caps. I've never had an issue with the #11 caps, however I'd like the option. Will this work on that rifle? One thing I read somewhere cautioned about making sure the cap itself will fit in the lock striker.
I have them on all of my TC's. I wouldn't use anything else!

Back