• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Music for Canon Battles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aye. The regimental pipers blaring 'The Battle o' Killiecrankie', and it's "Up the Kilties!" - The Ladies from Hell!

mhb - MIke

To my knowledge, the Pipes were the first musical instrument to be designated as "A Weapon of Warfare." This was back during the Proscription Acts following Culloden.

However, that has all gotten ironed out and the Pipes have long since led courageous men and more recently women to battle from the UK and Her Commonwealth Nations.

Gus

H.W.McBride's 'A Rifleman Went to War' spent a couple of stirring pages describing the Argyles, I think it was, being piped into the hell of the Somme. The pipers lead them in and the 'men in dresses' did their duty. McBride echoed Kipling's sentiment

As for martial music, suitable for all occasions, I have to agree with Kipling that there is nothing like the pipes: he said they always made him want to kill somebody...

mhb - MIke
who, the pipers?

He didn't say who, but that's not a bad guess...

mhb - MIke

Pipers are paid by members of the Mess at special functions and thoroughly enjoyed by most, if not all members while one is in one's dress uniform and getting severely drunk by the numbers. HOWEVER, the following morning at reveille, the Pipers should REALLY be paid NOT to play. 😆

On my first tour on Okinawa in 1972-3, Armed Forces radio got the idea to play "The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" by the Anderson Sisters at Reveille, to commemorate the anniversary of the landings on and battle for Okinawa. This of course was at 0530 in the morning. They only planned on doing it for one or a few days, BUT it was so popular by all the U.S. Armed Forces stationed there, they continued to do it for months. Many of us actually learned to subconsciously wake up shortly before Reveille so we could at least HEAR western women singing each morning.

Gus

Personally, I like the pipes, if properly played with an appropriate choice of tune. I have heard them badly played, and that's a different tune.... :)
I have also noticed that, on St. Andrew's day, they pipe-in the haggis, but the whiskey often precedes it.

mhb - MIke

Personally, I like the pipes, if properly played with an appropriate choice of tune. I have heard them badly played, and that's a different tune.... :)
I have also noticed that, on St. Andrew's day, they pipe-in the haggis, but the whiskey often precedes it.

mhb - MIke

Though I didn't grow up with the Pipes, I have always LOVED hearing them played well. There is just something about the Pipes that stirs the blood even to this day.

Gus

Back