1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 58F83A24-CBDB-48E8-92E0-D5D1DD79CBED.jpeg
    58F83A24-CBDB-48E8-92E0-D5D1DD79CBED.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

pamtnman

Hunt to Live
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I always wanted to go there and check it out when we go to Oklahoma to visit the kids.
Now I'll put it on a must see on our next trip.
Thank you for sharing.
If you go to Chadron from Oklahoma, drive up to Grand Island and then take Route 2 all the way up through the center of Nebraska to that northwest corner. It’s breathtakingly beautiful. You can always take one of the roads north off of Rt 2, like Rt 250. Or go all the way to Harrison near Fort Robinson State Park, and then after exploring that take Rt 20 east to Chadron. It’s undeveloped, incredible country. The few people you might meet along the way are real nice. Definitely stay topped off with fuel and water. If you run out of gas, get a bad flat, go off the road etc up there, it could end up being a much longer trip than you originally planned. Gas stations, grocery stores, water supplies are very few and far between.

pamtnman

Hunt to Live
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Who here feels like he could have written this book? I think I could have. And how many American boys today enjoy this same kind of childhood?
The scrap book is from Hanson’s boyhood. Things he learned or believed he knew about Indians and frontier living.

Attachments

• F1DAA7BC-574D-4547-B617-5ED1AB817E5B.jpeg
    F1DAA7BC-574D-4547-B617-5ED1AB817E5B.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 50BA2493-3C90-4376-AF7B-CAF6DDE72532.jpeg
    50BA2493-3C90-4376-AF7B-CAF6DDE72532.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

pamtnman

Hunt to Live
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Some frontier style. We need a lot more of these kid brother size pince nez glasses and carnival barker top hats

Attachments

• F6C0F84E-4ED4-4EEA-B197-69C458A9B6CE.jpeg
    F6C0F84E-4ED4-4EEA-B197-69C458A9B6CE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 6DA0D233-024A-44AA-BAE9-CD523B66841D.jpeg
    6DA0D233-024A-44AA-BAE9-CD523B66841D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2916B553-5A2F-42EC-A6A9-B73712EC0681.jpeg
    2916B553-5A2F-42EC-A6A9-B73712EC0681.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Well there went the rest of my morning…thanks OP!

I have been wanting to get there for a decade but they always close in the fall before I can!

Outstanding pics, thanks!

OP…what is the time period of the Bat rifle? I have a restocked and percussion converted 1803 Harper’s Ferry that is very similar and I’m trying to nail down a time period for the work.

968E9147-DBC1-46BD-918C-205E08C98CE4.jpeg
0D2B0441-293B-4DA8-B5EE-F6BDC06AB93A.jpeg

pamtnman

Hunt to Live
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well there went the rest of my morning…thanks OP!

I have been wanting to get there for a decade but they always close in the fall before I can!

Outstanding pics, thanks!

OP…what is the time period of the Bat rifle? I have a restocked and percussion converted 1803 Harper’s Ferry that is very similar and I’m trying to nail down a time period for the work.

View attachment 163978 View attachment 163979
I think Little Bat Garnier’s Folsom rifle was made in 1870s. Folsom competed with Hawken. Glad to keep you distracted from real work and focused on the good stuff in life, our beloved BP lifestyle. Thank you for your appreciation

Reaction score
I have not lived in Nebraska for all my life, Only because I'm not dead yet, Having lived here and making deliveries to ever corner of the state, I never had time to stop to see the historical places and collections.So one year after I retired , the wife took 10 days off work to go Cruising. We trailered the harley to Orchard, Ne. the Home of Ash Falls Fossil Beds.on hiway 20, look it up it's got nothing to do with M/L. Just tons of Prehistoric Animals as they fell around a water hole when covered by a 5' layer of volcanic ash fron a Prehistoric volcano.Then On to Rapid City , S.D. Parked the truck and used the Heritage Softtail for day trips to Sturgis, Deadwood, Lead , the bad lands , Iorn Mount trail & Mt Rushmore, I didn't make to the fur trade museum or Fort Robinson, Headed south , to North platte Ne, Buffalo Bill Ranch & BaileyYards Railyards. The southeast to FT. Kearney Gate way arch. south to hwy 6 east to Minden, Pioneer Village. takes 2 days to see , you'll still miss some. then east to Fairbury Ne. Rock Creek pony express station. Wild Bill Hickok had the much debated shoot out with the McCandle gang. Ever day We'd put about 200 miles on the bike that we didn't need to. Saw any thing we wanted and just acted like the was no Clock. Plains, Sandhills,Bad lands, Mountains, foothills.I came to Appricate WHY the INDIAN tribes fought to the death to keep it. If you ever come through Nebraska, reserve a couple days to see some of these historic places ... They are a little out of the way now,,, BUT 175 yrs ago WE were right on the way. Reseach ASHFALLS it's AMAZING.... BTW I got thrown out of Old #7 Saloon where WILD BILL was killed. I didn't see the sign NO COLORS , I wear a AMERICAN FLAG for a Back patch. Be Safe >>>Wally

pamtnman

Hunt to Live
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for Posting - and the GREAT photos. Do you think the Museum is accepting donations ?

Rick
I’ll bet they are. Entrance fee with AAA membership was a whopping five dollars each. The enjoyment ROI on that was about a million to one. More than worth it. It’s run real Mom n’ Pop style, but as you can see, the quality is top notch.

pamtnman

Hunt to Live
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have not lived in Nebraska for all my life, Only because I'm not dead yet, Having lived here and making deliveries to ever corner of the state, I never had time to stop to see the historical places and collections.So one year after I retired , the wife took 10 days off work to go Cruising. We trailered the harley to Orchard, Ne. the Home of Ash Falls Fossil Beds.on hiway 20, look it up it's got nothing to do with M/L. Just tons of Prehistoric Animals as they fell around a water hole when covered by a 5' layer of volcanic ash fron a Prehistoric volcano.Then On to Rapid City , S.D. Parked the truck and used the Heritage Softtail for day trips to Sturgis, Deadwood, Lead , the bad lands , Iorn Mount trail & Mt Rushmore, I didn't make to the fur trade museum or Fort Robinson, Headed south , to North platte Ne, Buffalo Bill Ranch & BaileyYards Railyards. The southeast to FT. Kearney Gate way arch. south to hwy 6 east to Minden, Pioneer Village. takes 2 days to see , you'll still miss some. then east to Fairbury Ne. Rock Creek pony express station. Wild Bill Hickok had the much debated shoot out with the McCandle gang. Ever day We'd put about 200 miles on the bike that we didn't need to. Saw any thing we wanted and just acted like the was no Clock. Plains, Sandhills,Bad lands, Mountains, foothills.I came to Appricate WHY the INDIAN tribes fought to the death to keep it. If you ever come through Nebraska, reserve a couple days to see some of these historic places ... They are a little out of the way now,,, BUT 175 yrs ago WE were right on the way. Reseach ASHFALLS it's AMAZING.... BTW I got thrown out of Old #7 Saloon where WILD BILL was killed. I didn't see the sign NO COLORS , I wear a AMERICAN FLAG for a Back patch. Be Safe >>>Wally
Good advice, Wally. We primarily drove Rt 20 and Rt 2, through the heartland. Tremendous frontier history there. For visitors coming from the east, I-80 takes you past most of the exits of interest, like for the first Pony Express station, Fort Kearney, etc. You can see a lot of frontier history as you drive westward across the southern third of Nebraska, and then loop northward through Colorado and Wyoming and then back into NW Nebraska and on around. Lots of small museums of interest to black powder shooters and period history buffs.

Reaction score
Thank you for Posting - and the GREAT photos. Do you think the Museum is accepting donations ?

Rick

At that ^^^ link you can donate, volunteer, become a member, etc

A couple years ago they sold some of the traps they had multiples of.

The supporting members got first shot at them, before they were offered to the public.

How cool would it be to have an early 1800's beaver trap?

Reaction score

At that ^^^ link you can donate, volunteer, become a member, etc

A couple years ago they sold some of the traps they had multiples of.

The supporting members got first shot at them, before they were offered to the public.

How cool would it be to have an early 1800's beaver trap?
Thank You !!

I'm 72 now and retired. In about 2-3 years I need to start "thinning my herd" as they say. LOL I have an original Northwest Trade Fusil that was likely purchased in St. Louis, MO during the period. And I'm thinking the Museum is where it should go (belong). What do you guys think ?

Rick

Reaction score
Rick the Museum would love to have that trade gun or even Museum of the mountain man in Pinedale WY.
I would think either place would like to have it.