• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Murphy's Soap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it , been way back in the early 80's another shooter turned me on to it. Used it then and restated how back in to BP. It works. plant base oil.

I use it , been way back in the early 80's another shooter turned me on to it. Used it then and restated how back in to BP. It works. plant base oil.
Yep the technical term, shown on the Murphy's Oil Soap MSDS is "geranoil".
I hadn't thought to use it as a rust preventative, but it should work as well as "sweet oil" aka olive oil, maybe better.

LD

Could you elaborate on your moose milk recipe using Murphys? Trying to learn from all the OG's.

Yes, fine stuff for cleaning or lube. But, when you buy it, read the label carefully. I bought some, I thought, but got floor polish. I put some in a small container and used for patch lube at a shoot. After just a few shots I could not seat my ball. Took a buncha cleaning with Brillo and solvents to get barrel back where it belonged.

Could you elaborate on your moose milk recipe using Murphys? Trying to learn from all the OG's.
There are several, perhaps dozens of formula...
I was taught, equal parts of Murphy's Oil Soap, Rubbing Alcohol, and Hydrogen peroxide.
Others take any water soluble oil, like Ballistol or Cutting Oil, mixed with Alcohol... etc.
When mixed the stuff appears "milky" so thus "moose milk".

You will also find a huge debate on which was the "first" recipe. The one I started with above, was what I was taught around 1994...

The advantage of the stuff was as a reenactor, I would get a massively fouled barrel, shooting 24-32 rounds in an afternoon without swabbing. The moose milk would quickly caused that fouling to come free and reduce cleaning time.

I never found an advantage to it when just shooting at the range ; lots less ammo fired by me in that scenario

LD

I also learned the time-honored 1:1:1 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Murphy's Oil Soap. I use it in the field for cleaning. However, use caution as Hydrogen Peroxide is not good for wood. Scale model builders use Hydrogen Peroxide to artificially age wood on their models/dioramas.

I made up about a gallon of the stuff when I got into competition shooting in the N-SSA about 10 years ago. I'm just about all done with it. Once done, I will probably stick with Ballistol. It's good for metal, wood, and leather.

I use it in the old standby 1/1/1 murphys oil soap/alcohol/hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution .
Known as MAP. Been using it for over 30+ years to clean with. Also, as my wipe 1 spray on 1 side of my patch down up turn over down up by feel if to wet dry patch down up once. [depends on humidity and feel]

I mix soap and alcohol, then at the start of the match add the peroxide so it will be fresh for the weekend. End of the day I plug the touch hole pour bore full to withing 1/2 inch of the muzzle then wrap a rag around it held by an elastic, so none foams down the forend.

Last edited:
While Murphy is very good, and many swear by it, over the years, I have found Lestoil to exhibit better cleaning properties than does Murphy.
This also makes for a decent patch lube.

My Field mix:
Liquid:
4oz Alcohol (I like the green wintergreen alcohol)
4oz Water and/or Peroxide

2oz Lestoil (contains Stoddard Solvents, which are heavy-duty dry cleaning like chemicals)
2oz Ballistol
Be sure to mix in this order,
Lestoil and liquid first, then the Ballistol.
They will mix easier this way.
If peroxide is used, store in one of the brown peroxide bottles, preventing sunlight breakdown into water.

I also learned the time-honored 1:1:1 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Murphy's Oil Soap. I use it in the field for cleaning. However, use caution as Hydrogen Peroxide is not good for wood. Scale model builders use Hydrogen Peroxide to artificially age wood on their models/dioramas.

I made up about a gallon of the stuff when I got into competition shooting in the N-SSA about 10 years ago. I'm just about all done with it. Once done, I will probably stick with Ballistol. It's good for metal, wood, and leather.
FYI hydrogen peroxide has a shelf life after which it is just water.
See - Hydrogen Peroxide Shelf Life
I am sure that after 10 years what started out as hydrogen peroxide was soon just water.

Wow! lots of experience here with cleaning formula's used by different people for years and no rust. That's impressive, even cleaning with just hot water by reenactors.
Thanks for the info ***

Back