• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mule ear target rifles, any good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BE Wild Willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking at one of these that is approx. 36 cal. with a 37"x 1-1/8" barrel. Are these guns known to be good shooters and do they have any value?

100_1022.jpg

100_09932.jpg

The ignition system contributes little to the accuracy of the gun. The side-slapper may increase ignition timing by a nano-second. If it is an original mule ear lock from the late 1800's then it may have additional value due to the scarcity of them. The real advantage of an underhammer or side slapper in a target rifle is that it removes the hammer from the sight plane.

There are those who say side slappers increase accuracy because the falling hammer kinda torques the gun when it hits. I dunno 'bout that. Mule ears don't do that. :idunno: If that effect exists, it is very negligible. I know some bench shooters like the side slapper a/ka/ mule ear for that (supposed) reason. They do send the flash directly into the main charge and that could be a good feature.
There used to be a rifle produced by Bob Tingle (now deceased) that was well thought of. His side slapper is currently highly desired by many. If I see one for sale, I would buy it.
In short, if the rifle is in good shape and you like it and the price is right, grab it and enjoy.

Super fast lock if the hammer throw is short. Mine has a short throw and it's the fastest lock I've ever shot with. Also, as said before the cap flash travels a very short straight line to the charge. One disadvantage to those who feel they need one is that most don't have a half cock.

While many don't have a half cock. The Tingly's did. I find a side slapper to be very quick and accurate. :idunno: :idunno:

Back