• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

mule ear rifle help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeutonicHeathen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking for a 36 caliber rifle for squirrel for awhile now. I just had a gentleman call me who said he has a 36 caliber mule ear built by deer creek. He is asking $300. Can somebody give me any reviews of the rifle please? Is it worth $300. I have no experience with mule ear rifle or deer creek products. Says rifle is like new condition

I have no experience with this particular gun but 36s are becoming hard to come by and usually come at a slightly higher price. If it is in good shape and looks good, it is probably worth it but without pictures, hard to say. Maybe if he will let you shoot it first, you can judge better.

Same here no experience with that particular rifle but I do have an original over/under mule ear made in the 1800s and I love it. Seems like the ignition is faster and very reliable. If I had a chance to buy the one described and it was in the like new condition, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. My experience with Deer Creek Products has always been positive.

For $300 it could be a good price if it was only a parts kit if the bore is ok.

Mule ear and underhammer locks are faster ignition than most.

Get some more information and a picture if you can.

Call Deer creek and ask them about it, they built it.

Let us know if you get it.
William Alexander

No experience with that rifle. Usually, you cannot go wrong with any well made ml rife at $300.00. Do check the bore. And, be aware good ramrods in those tiny sizes can be hard to come by. I reccomend a synthetic in the field.

The Deer Creek side slappers are well made, chances are your barrel could be a Douglas barrel, which was a very well made barrel.
Deer Creek also had stuff bought out from Numrich, which was well known for accurate shooting.
I had a Numrich .36 under hammer which was terrific, but sadly traded it off. Bad mistake.
A good straight grain hickory rod will do well, especially with a good ball starter. Do NOT use over the counter dowel rods.
Fred

Most mule ear "sideslapper" rifles, like most underhammer rifles do not have a half cock safety.

Over the years, things that will cover the percussion caps to make the gun safe to carry loaded and primed have been tried and they can work rather well or rather poorly.

It's just something to keep in mind and if your talking to the seller, it's a question that you might want to ask about.

As for my experience only the Tingly side slappers have a half cock. All of the other side slappers that I have seen lack the half cock . But I do not claim to have seen them all. :idunno:

Nice rifle.
As I said, "most" sidehammer Mule Ears don't have a half cock position or other form of safety.

I figure someone thinking about buying one of them deserves to know about this issue.
That way, if he/she buys the gun they won't be surprised after they get their gun. :)

I have a Navy Arms .36 mule ear with a half cock on the tumbler. It shoots very well. It has a very unique nipple and when it wears out I will have to fine one or have one made, most likely.

Half cock notches???

I build a back action side hammer. It is indeed very fast. I did not include a half cock. I have been pondering a wedge between the hammer and lock plate. More so than a half cock that arrangement would prevent firing if the rifle were dropped on the hammer.

I have been trying to figure out a sliding or rotating wedge that is part of the lock. It would be spring loaded to get out of the way when the hammer was cocked.

Any one ever seen such a device?

I have made a hammer block for my mule similar to what your are talking about mine simply has a ledge that lays over the hammer and when you cock it gravity drops it the arm just pins onto the stock also made a hammer block for underhammers that has a leaf spring so when you cock the hammer the block pops off to the side I will try to post some pic later

Yeah, I use the long ones in my H&A underhammer.
It gives full barrel wall threaded purchase and is level with the bore at groove diameter minimizing much for fouling to get caught in and plug the nipple vent.

M.D. said:
Yeah, I use the long ones in my H&A underhammer.
It gives full barrel wall threaded purchase and is level with the bore at groove diameter minimizing much for fouling to get caught in and plug the nipple vent.

Be cautious about the thread size you are using. The H&As had a different thread and size. If you are using the wrong nipple it could end up embedded in your forearm. I have a friend who learned that the hard way. I used to sell H&As, but regretfully, I have forgotten the correct thread they use. TOW, will know and fix you up properly.

Back