• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mule Ear locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my Muley, along with a page from Newton's lock book..
You could always make your own??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Attachments

• Miss Muley.jpg
    Miss Muley.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 59
  • muley2.jpg
    muley2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Muley.jpg
    Muley.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 55
I was interested in mule ear locks, but couldn't find one to buy. When L&R introduced one a few years ago, I jumped on it without even knowing what I would build around it. I thought its shape lent itself to a Bedford style longrifle. I picked up a precarved Bedford stock from Tiger Hunt at Dixon's fair along with a 13/16 Rice barrel in .45. The advantage of the mule ear lock is the short, straight channel to the powder. It shoots almost as quick as a centerfire rifle. I've done well with it at NMLRA territorial matches.

I am working on a building Ohio style rifle and will be using a custom made mule ear lock that I bought on this forum. I am always looking for information and ideas.

Bnew,

would love to see pics of that lock??

Most(?) of the Mule ear guns would be, what they call, New York pattern I would imagine. Seems the east coast was the center for Muley and under hammer style guns. Not saying they didn't get further west but seem to be more prevalent in the east. Search Medberry ( Spl? ) rifles or Medberry Mule ear and look at the pics that have shown up on various auction sites.. Included a couple of Medberry pics of one with an outside mainspring.. and one that is more of a standard design

Attachments

• Medbury.jpg
    Medbury.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Medberry-460.jpg
    Medberry-460.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 32
Back