• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mule Ear Build???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave James

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I know from the start this build I'm thinking of will not be welcomed by most, but the reasoning is the ability to pass it on to grandchildren who are all right handed, I am left handed.

Have the itch for one last rifle,it will be a paper puncher
What it to look along the lines of a Hawen or Rigby Sporter
Mule ear lock
Either a shotgun or Flower type butt
Would love to have either a 58 or 60 calibere but 45 fast twist is more likely
Thinking 24-28" barrel, open sights mostly thinking peep rear, front don't know
Full build no more then 10lbs
Stock with no cast off or cast on

I know it needs to be fleshed out more
But would be interested if any here might think or know a builder that may be willing to build such a contraption
Thanks all

If you are thinking of using an octagon barrel, you probably need to think about slow twists and shooting patched lead roundballs. A quick check at Track of the Wolf seems to say they aren't offering any octagon barrels with fast twists.
About the only fast twist octagon barrel I can think of would be a used barrel off of a Lyman Great Plains Hunter.
Of course, there are custom barrel makers who can make a barrel with fast twists but they won't be cheap to buy.

While your thinking about that, octagon muzzleloading barrels usually come in 42" or 36" lengths. IMO, a 36" long barrel should work nicely for a target rifle. Barrels shorter than that like a 24" long barrel don't give as great of distance between the sights which can make it more difficult to line up on the bulls eye.
The longer barrel will also give about 5% more velocity than a short barrel will deliver with the same powder load.

What lock are you thinking of using? I built a mule ear with a L&R lock, I don't know if there are any others available. Mule ear guns are very interesting to me - it just seems like a good design.

I know from the start this build I'm thinking of will not be welcomed by most, but the reasoning is the ability to pass it on to grandchildren who are all right handed, I am left handed.
Don't know why you would say that. Many of us here have mule ear guns and enjoy them.
I now have 2 of them. If you can find one of the older Navy arms mule ear guns and salvage the lock off of it that would be perfect for a build.
They are very strong and have a half cock. If you can find one with a decent barrel that would make it even easier to do the build.

Didn't think the lock would be a problem but the rest of the rifle,isn't close to be an original anything that I've seen,am looking for the lock now, but really need suggestions on a builder. The Jesuit brothers will be disappointed in me but I have no artistic ability what so ever

I had thought that the Pioneer mule ear locks were no longer available. Or is he making them again?

For a barrel you might talk to the Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon. They can supply rifles with the rifling cut to your specs by the Oregon Barrel Company. I have no idea about the price of a barrel only, but their rifle prices are reasonable. I have dealt with them and will go back. While you are there, take a look at their Ultimate Underhammer. Not a mule ear but it's interesting.

The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium
247 South 2nd Street
Springfield, Oregon 97477

Phone: (541) 741-4118

http://www.thegunworks.com/GunIndex.cfm

Charles Burton at FCI will do any caliber and rifling twist rate and style (within reason) that you want, including gain-twist. Just beware that the waiting period may be pretty long with him. His outside finishes need very little filing, unlike some of the others.

Thank you all for the help. Will work on parts and then look for a builder, BIL, gave me a contact,a friend of a friend who work at Williamsburg,in the rifle shop that use to take work,he's close do start there and keep looking.

I made this hawken with a 28" twist Green Mountain barrel. Shoots a conical bullet, 2" groups at 100. I also have a couple of Oregon barrels with a fast twist. Very inexpensive as barrels go and not bad for accuracy.

Attachments

• Hawken - 28 twist.JPG
    Hawken - 28 twist.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 79
Back