• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mule ear actions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulvallandigham

Passed On
Reaction score
Is anyone making a mule ear action these days? I always thought it would be the right choice if you wanted an action that would allow fitting a traditional rear mounted scope sight on a gun for old eyes. I also like the underhammers, but they seem to be almost gone, too.

On a gun I saw years ago at Friendship, standard nipples were used. I can't say what the current ones use. I didn't know about Pioneer Arms, and tried to find this information with a search on this sight a few hours before I posed the question. Thank you all who have responded so quickly. I knew that I would find this out from you guys. This is one terrific site.

The Pioneer Arms mule ear doesn't have a half cock notch which would make it not preferable to me, especially for hunting purposes.
Maybe this feature could be added on afterward, but it just doesn't seem desirable that a half cock version isn't available on a finished lock at the buyer's option.
The discontinued Pedersoli/Navy Arms production model had a half cock and utilized a larger than average diameter nipple for use with #11 caps, but shooting near maximum loads, it has reset itself on occassion from the powder blowback without harming the lock.

Anybody have a address on Pioneer Arms? I just looked at the links page here, and their site does not come up? I too would like to see the backside of their lock up close to see how it works, but one way or another it will probably be on my list of Christmas wants. Thanks to you in advance. Paul

I once had one of the Navy Arms Mule ear rifles in .36 caliber. I hav kicked myself many times for trading it off to a friend. It used reqular 1/4-28 nipples and was very accurate. I haven't seen one of these for a while though.

grayghost said:
I once had one of the Navy Arms Mule ear rifles in .36 caliber. I hav kicked myself many times for trading it off to a friend. It used reqular 1/4-28 nipples and was very accurate. I haven't seen one of these for a while though.

I have the Navy Arms mule ear rifle in .32 calibler. After seeing the Pioneer site about using the mule ear to convert T/C or Lyman rifles to caplock, how about a lock to convert my mule ear to flintlock?

Seems like it'd be a very easy way to convert a flintlock to percussion. Just change out the vent with a nipple, swap locks and you'd be in business. I'm not real keen on it not having a half cock either. Seems like you'd need it to be totally safe while hunting and such. Wonder if we could call a gun with a mule ear lock a "side line" action,LOL>

Paul, there are some old threads on 'mule ears', a search may find them. 'Metalshaper' made several of his own design.....some very nice ones.

Muzzle Blasts also had a article on making them..............the book is still avalable, I will look for the number.

arcticap said:
The Pioneer Arms mule ear doesn't have a half cock notch which would make it not preferable to me, especially for hunting purposes.
Maybe this feature could be added on afterward, but it just doesn't seem desirable that a half cock version isn't available on a finished lock at the buyer's option.
The discontinued Pedersoli/Navy Arms production model had a half cock and utilized a larger than average diameter nipple for use with #11 caps, but shooting near maximum loads, it has reset itself on occassion from the powder blowback without harming the lock.

If not having a half cock bothers you, make a stop that raises the hammer off the cap. When you cock the hammer it falls awy, to be held buy a cord. Quiet and simple.

I believe the Pioneer mule ear is a Dale Story invention, the rights bought out by Pioneer. An old Muzzleloading/Gunsmithing book from about 1989 showes how to complete the Story lock. Those pictures inspired me and I have recently completed a mule ear lock based on that design but all architecture figured out as I went along. As it is designed there is little room for a 1/2 cock position. The thong and block will work well and lend an air of authenticity. Doug

Here's a site on how to make a muleear, with a half cock. maybe this will help Link to muleear It'll give ya some idea on how it works. Track also sells a book of different lock style patternsby Pryor Mt. Bill if yer interested. There's no dimensions, but pretty good diagrams. Bill

To the gang,

Muley's are an interesting gun lock and makes for a fine and fast rifle, when it comes to shooting. Historically they are of the very late percussion period and most do not have a half-cock position. Seems these locks were used mostly in target shooting and not so much for hunting.. at least that is what I've found in my research.

The Link to Laurie Fenton's web site,, is a good one. I borrowed some from his designs, when I built my "Miss Muley". Laurie and I exchanged ideas and he helped me overcome some of the geometry problems I was having in my own lock design. The results were this...

MM4.jpg

My lock design incorporates a half cock position and I also added a fly to the tumbler/hammer mechanism. the mainspring is a coil spring and the two stage camming trigger is a somewhat copy of Lauri's design.. < I just condensed it into a smaller package > The gun is a take down and I have tw barrels fit to the action. the .36 cal rifle barrel < shown > and a 28 gauge shotgun barrel, that is octagon and was made from a reamed out .50, that I aquired from a gunshop.. I need to find a decent Big bore in 15/16ths acf,, to complete the set.

If your geometry is good, it's easy top add a half cock position. If your using a Storey style < I have seen some home made versions > you could add a "safety lock" that engages the hammer to stop it fall,, or use a lever to position a stop under tha hammer to prevent it fall.. at the very least, a turned brass "cover" could be made to set over the nipple and be held fast by the hammer is another option, < my buddy uses this type on his UH > by having a thong or small chain attached to the trigger guard,, when the hammer is cocked it falls away..

Better go

Respect Always
Metalshaper

I did this one several years back on a T/C flinter. I wanted to be able to switch it back and forth so I set it up with a bell crank to work the sear from the T/C trigger. It has a fly and half cock. Notice the hole through the main spring for the T/C retaining screw. I had to take a little wood out to fit it but the flint lock will still work. This action took quite a while to make so I'm not making any more unless someone wants one bad enough to pay the shop rate.
420181.JPG
420182.JPG

John let me fondle his Mule ear gun. It was very nice and well done. :thumbsup:

Back