• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mr. Spock and Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheesy for sure, but it spawned an empire. I still like to visit that universe.
lots of social commentary hidden to get past censorship, twilight zone did the same.
Not the best in sci fi, but the one I find most enjoyable
My favorite episode was the gangster planet, I think it was called a piece of the action.

During the 80's MGM prop sales Many pallet loads of "Faux" Flintlocks were sold. All were trapdoor springfields at one time. Many were faux blunderbusses, pirate rifles and a few pirate pistols. (still have one). Some may have been the ones in the episode. None were in great shape and many missing parts. The advent of plastic injected prop guns (and liability insurance ) doomed them

Rifle in pic looks like one of those movie Trapdoors with the fake hammer and frizzen.
Yes it was a prop "smoothbore" made from a trapdoor Springfield with a special hammer to sorta look like a cock with a flint in it. The Klingon agent tells the village headman that a "rifled barrel" will be added in the future to the guns.
LD

Here's a pic of 0ne from the MGM lot. And a close-up of the lock modifications.
DSC00034 (Medium).JPG
MGM Flintlock 004 (Medium).jpg

Here's a pic of 0ne from the MGM lot. And a close-up of the lock modifications.View attachment 84573View attachment 84574
Yup and one of the better ones. The movies ate these up with rough handling. 1000's of Black powder Cartridge blanks (and no cleaning) took care of the rifling so "smooth bores" were the norm. I was told buy the prop sale was an accumulation of items from the entire film industry not just MGM. The real treasures were arsenal cases of new parts like locks, hardware carbine parts and some super rare bayonets/swords. Even arsenal unfinished parts and Faux Flint stuff sold. Unaltered stuff went fast like anything associated with big names or big movies. I Nabbed some unmentionables purportedly from waynes "yellow ribbon" and "searchers". Bet folks were really reviewing old movies after that especially "stooges". Can only imagine what was "high graded" out before the sale.

Cheesy for sure, but it spawned an empire. I still like to visit that universe.
lots of social commentary hidden to get past censorship, twilight zone did the same.
Not the best in sci fi, but the one I find most enjoyable
My favorite episode was the gangster planet, I think it was called a piece of the action.
Agree.. and lots of social commentary in even earlier shows like Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Perry Mason, ...most all of them actually and some started befrore the shows were even on TV. Even Rochester won out over Jack Benny and proved he was the smarter one of the lot. It was much more than slapstick even then. To note, in Gunsmoke, Miss Kitty was a successful business woman of a bar non the less. And there were two other ladies who portrayed the general store owners.

If I recall right the Kentuckies in the Star Trek episode looked like modern reproduction Kentuckies with functional flint locks. Maybe from Dixie or Navy Arms rather than the altered trap door springfields. Would have to re watch the episode. By the mid sixties they were available. Steinbridge supplies lots of prop rifles, including muzzle loaders for movies.

If I recall right the Kentuckies in the Star Trek episode looked like modern reproduction Kentuckies with functional flint locks. Maybe from Dixie or Navy Arms rather than the altered trap door springfields. Would have to re watch the episode. By the mid sixties they were available. Steinbridge supplies lots of prop rifles, including muzzle loaders for movies.
That's how they looked to me. Large patch boxes as well.

From Musketeer:
https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/epics/TOS-S2/S2E19/TOS-S2E19-147.jpg

Back