• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mr. Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
It's all I have used over the past 2 years. Before that I used lubed precut patches.
What do you think of using it for hunting?
I guess my question leads from the thought that it's a thin lube compared to oily lubes and it may dry out over the course of the day?
PXL_20211010_015356903.jpg

I've used it at the range and found it similar to Lehigh Valley and Shenandoah Valley lubes. For hunting I use mink oil from TOW. I have no fears of the latter migrating into the powder charge or freezing.

I like my own lube, however what you like is just as good. Under normal conditions the mr lube won’t migrate off patch and in to charge unless you load it soaked, it’s just lightly oiled not dripping.
A wad in between , and that can just be a patch or folded paper or tow will stop any oil from migrating

I wouldn't use it for hunting. It will dry out and most likely leave a rust ring where the ball was sitting. As for just shooting, I like it a lot.
Mr. Flintlocks lube is the same as, or very similar to Original Lehigh Valley. This is/was my favorite lube for casual shooting. But as I discovered the hard way it too drys out and will leave that rust ring. Maybe a week from now. Maybe tomorrow. It happened to 2 of my rifles.
As for Mr. Flintlock, well I wrote him an email asking if his lube would do the same as LeHigh Valley. I'm still waiting on an answer. And at this point that's all the answer I need.

Use the same for hunting as you do at the range. What's the point of spending days dialing in a great load if you're going to change it out in the field?

wm

As others have said, just put a wad of some sort, a small ball of tow will do, between the patched ball and the powder. Otherwise you're really modifying the variables more than needed, so if your load is accurate, then...,

Arthur Hunnicutt comment 1.jpg

LD

Back