Mr. Flintlocks

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Juniata

36 Cl.
Reaction score
It's all I have used over the past 2 years. Before that I used lubed precut patches.
What do you think of using it for hunting?
I guess my question leads from the thought that it's a thin lube compared to oily lubes and it may dry out over the course of the day?
PXL_20211010_015356903.jpg

excess650

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've used it at the range and found it similar to Lehigh Valley and Shenandoah Valley lubes. For hunting I use mink oil from TOW. I have no fears of the latter migrating into the powder charge or freezing.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I like my own lube, however what you like is just as good. Under normal conditions the mr lube won’t migrate off patch and in to charge unless you load it soaked, it’s just lightly oiled not dripping.
A wad in between , and that can just be a patch or folded paper or tow will stop any oil from migrating

tom_in_vt

40 Cal
Reaction score
As others have said, lightly lube the patch and put a wad in there if you’re concerned.

Darkhorse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I wouldn't use it for hunting. It will dry out and most likely leave a rust ring where the ball was sitting. As for just shooting, I like it a lot.
Mr. Flintlocks lube is the same as, or very similar to Original Lehigh Valley. This is/was my favorite lube for casual shooting. But as I discovered the hard way it too drys out and will leave that rust ring. Maybe a week from now. Maybe tomorrow. It happened to 2 of my rifles.
As for Mr. Flintlock, well I wrote him an email asking if his lube would do the same as LeHigh Valley. I'm still waiting on an answer. And at this point that's all the answer I need.

rebs

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have used it at the rnge target shooting and it works great. I don't know about using it for hunting

rebs

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
hammer.JPG

The hammer just clears the edge of the nipple

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As others have said, just put a wad of some sort, a small ball of tow will do, between the patched ball and the powder. Otherwise you're really modifying the variables more than needed, so if your load is accurate, then...,

Arthur Hunnicutt comment 1.jpg

LD

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
Reaction score
One Shot made by Hornady works great.
I wouldn't use that either for hunting. Anything that dries out, isnt worth spit in the field. Not sure where you guys hunt, but my season is 9 days long and my rifle stays loaded until I find what I'm looking for. 3-5 days usually.

Latest posts