• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mr. Brant Selb

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overly Critical? This is not a 150-year-old rifle. This is a new, 2800.00$ custom rifle, ordered as a specific style of rifle, my choosing this builder (Brant Selb), partly based on many on-line recommendations. If you have low standards of quality, that's fine- but I had higher expectations based on price and reputation. Parts price out around 1000.00$ give or take. Yes, it is as bad as I am saying. The lock is not flush with the stock because he was simply lazy and did not remove enough wood to clear a couple internal bolt heads. Look at a Sharps rifle, or Pedersoli, the nose caps are perfect, and these are poured and finished by hand. Mine is not only badly poured, but not even finished- he didn't even bother to finish the shaping, let alone final polishing. And yes, I do know how to do this myself, which is why I am rebuilding the rifle myself, rather than send it back to him, to wait god knows how many years for its return, only to find it in no better shape than I had first received it. He will probably just retire and screw everyone remaining on his wait list, who have deposits out (see above), etc. I will be filing in small claims court in Bend, Oregon. Probably won't win, but I have endless time and money to pursue this. It's no longer about money. It's that he is thumbing his nose at everyone, delivering a shitty product, and then saying too bad-
I'll post a picture of the whole rifle later, do not have a picture on this computer. Sure, it looks fine from ten feet away, just like I look great from across the room, but up close, maybe not so much. I hear a lot of talk of Buy American, Made in America, etc. This rifle is an embarrassment and insult to every legitimate rifle builder out there. Go ahead and order a rifle from him, then write back in three or four years to tell me how you feel.
"Hand Made" is never an excuse for "Poorly Made".
Sorry to hear that, however this is 2024, and at 82 yo I have just come to the realization, that in today's world, lowered expectations apply to most things. Kinda like the Federal Government treats you!!!!!

Yes, I plant to "rework" the cap, rather than repour it. I figure I can cut it back a quarter inch and down the same, pour new pewter over the existing, then finish the shaping, etc.

I sent Mr, Selb a link to this discussion. I don't know if he has blocked my email or not! Sorry to hear after all that he still refuses to refund a 1000$ deposit -jeez!

Some folks forget that comments once posted on the net remain there and are retrievable by anyone and at any time. Researching a makers rep is key to current and future value.

Lock not properly inletted, won’t mount flush with stock. So many problems. I started to rebuild entire rifle last night. 2800.00$
I'm just looking at the screws protruding through from the backside of the lock plate... surely they could have been dressed more carefully!

Yes, I plant to "rework" the cap, rather than repour it. I figure I can cut it back a quarter inch and down the same, pour new pewter over the existing, then finish the shaping, etc.
I screwed up a pewter pour on a knife once. I asked the question as to whether I could pour some more over it, and I was told that would not work if I remembering correctly so I let it go. Be interested to see what happens if you try.

Yes, I have my doubts as well about pouring over the existing pewter. I guess I'll see what happens....

Back