Quantcast

Mowrey

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Mowery in .54 cal. Shoot it frequently. I seat the curved stock on my bicep to prevent it from biting me.
Nice to know. I did notice the slightly different feel to the stock to my shoulder. It has a lot of drop not unlike my old double shotguns.

Cowboy

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
Another gun I recently picked up in a trade but haven't shot. Do any of you shoot such critters? If so, how do you like it. It's a .54.View attachment 44207
I like the looks of those Mowrey’s. Always wanted one of those.

I see them on auction sites from time to time. Maybe one day?

Yours looks pretty nice my friend. Let us know how she shoots if you would?

Enjoy!

Respectfully, Cowboy

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Cowboy,
To be honest I don't think it has ever been shot. I'll probably be the first. I will definitely let you know how it goes. I love the full buckhorn rear sight. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to part with it sometime.

rafterob

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Good shooting rifles, there were a few variants based on who owned the Mowrey works at the time. Deer Creek has replacement parts if needed.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I always wanted one and lusted for one some time.

Then I finally decided to get one and then I find it has way too much drop on the stock for me.

They look nice and have nice wood, just won't work for me.

In 1974 they were on sale at Dixie for $75.00, the brass one.

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I always wanted one and lusted for one some time.

Then I finally decided to get one and then I find it has way too much drop on the stock for me.

They look nice and have nice wood, just won't work for me.

In 1974 they were on sale at Dixie for $75.00, the brass one.
It does have a good drop. I'm somewhat used to it beings I shoot a lot of old double shotguns. As far a price, I know what you mean as I bought my first Charleville musket for $150 the year I graduated from High School and that was 1975.

Sam squanch

40 Cal
Reaction score
Please use real black powder, 3f. These guns have a small breech area under the nipple. Mine misfired all the time, until I used 3f so it would “flow” down in there. Oh and keep it REAL clean too.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I like them. have they not been made in quite a few years?. who sold them?

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the heads up on using finer powder. I have a few pounds of good old Swiss 3F I'll save for it.

Flinty Scot

40 Cal
Reaction score
With that long-tailed butt plate, you may find it more comfortable to fire if held across your chest & resting on your bicep or the joint, rather than shouldered as most. My SMR is much more comfortable, & stable, shot that way.I just learned this quirk from this group; it worked, so I pass it on.

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
With that long-tailed butt plate, you may find it more comfortable to fire if held across your chest & resting on your bicep or the joint, rather than shouldered as most. My SMR is much more comfortable, & stable, shot that way.I just learned this quirk from this group; it worked, so I pass it on.
Thanks, I will make note of that. I'm hoping to be able to go out sometime this weekend and give it a try. I'll start with 50 grains FFFG:)

muzzlecap

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Mowrey shotgun and a short time ago I picked up a 1776 bi-centennial rifle in 50 cal. Haven't shot it yet. Yep, they have a fair bit of drop. But something about them appeal to me.

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Another gun I recently picked up in a trade but haven't shot. Do any of you shoot such critters? If so, how do you like it. It's a .54.View attachment 44207
I had a short barreled 58. It was brutal to shoot and even though accurate, was not a great idea for a ten shot target range. Nice for string shoots though.

Latest posts