• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mowrey/ Leman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All... I hope to learn from some of the expertise of you all. I have inherited a gun that was a gift to my dad about 30 years ago and spent most of those years in dad's safe. He has passed away and I am trying to determine several things about this gun. Details:heavy octagon 32" barrel in .50(makes this definitely a bench gun). overall 48". Barrel and sidelock are brown. Furniture looks maple and full length of barrel. trigger guard, muzzle cap and butt plate are brass. The interesting part: The stamp on sidelock "LEMAN LANCSTR.PA" The stamp in the barrel is 'WL MOWREY". Because both Leman and Mowrey are companies that have gone out of business I cannot find much detail on line. I have found a description of a Trade Rifle that Leman made that fits this gun...except for the Mowrey barrel. Should I assume this was a custom using parts of both manufacturers? ANY help is appreciated...
Sorry I could not figure how to attach pictures
Thanks
Frank

Bill Mowrey died (I think) maybe 20 years ago now. After he died the (company) continued to mark rifles with his name (living off the fame I guess).

He built "replica" rifles back before they were called custom or semi-custom, including many "plains" rifles.

While it is possible that he put an original Leman lock on one of his "modern" creations, it is just as possible that the Leman part was stamped in as part of his "fit/finish" the way some modern built Hawken rifles have the barrels and/or locks stamped similar to the originals.

Bob Roller (a noted, and still very much alive, lockmaker) made many of the locks and triggers for Bill's rifles. You might try removing the lock and looking for a builders name on the "inside" of the plate.

So what you have is an "earlier" (as early as the 1960's) "contemporary" rifle there.

There are several possibilities for the origins of your rifle and pictures would be of much help in narrowing it down. My late friend and mentor got started building longrifles back in the early 1950's. He told me about what it was like to make a rifle back then. Barrel's were somewhat available but locks were the scarcest. You either had to make your own or find an original in working order. I own one of my friends early guns and it sounds just about like the one you have inherited from your father. It is a walnut halfstock with a very heavy 50 cal barrel and an original Leman percussion lock. He told me that he made it for over the log and cross stick shooting.....it weighs close to 15 lbs. There is a chance that your rifle is an original piece with a modern barrel added, but only good pictures will help find your answers.

Captjoel,
I added these pics from photobucket. Note the sidelock and barrel markings... hope this give a better clue for you. although the description you gave of the other gun fits this one pretty well.

a5464206-4d56-4099-a031-78b95cd0bd0a.jpg.html

th_ed1b9709-cea2-4c24-b015-e222dfdc512e.jpg
[/URL][/img]

photo.jpg.html

http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/fpg52/media/photo4.jpg.html

photo3.jpg.html

Last edited by a moderator:
From your pictures Frank, I would say that you have a modern made contemporary rifle. The lock also looks to be modern made with a new stamping of the Leman name. It looks like a very nice piece and a fun shooter from the bench. Good luck and enjoy!.....Joel

So Gentlemen... very sorry but i for some reason missed several of your replies from last fall... I just saw them and want to thank you for your comments... again sorry for the huge delay... better late than never I hope

I've read that Mowery made some Leman style rifles before making the Allen & Thurber style he's better known for (I don't recall the source for that).

Back