• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mowrey .50 cal. Fast twist.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtire

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a rather nice looking Mowrey .50 cal. I don't know that they made any different kinds except for the sidekick "Ethan Allen" type, which is what it is. Aside from all this, my real problem is that it has a 1-30" twist for conicals. The rifling however is deep cut like a round ball barrel. It makes it tough to get a conical like the Great Plains ones started without it trying to go in crooked. Even the good old T/C Maxi-Ball with the smaller lower band is hard to get started. I would like to be able to use this gun with conical bullets instead of just round balls with a puny charge. Any suggestions?

Size your bullets to bore size, paper patch and then resize them . You should be able to work up a recipe which will load easily and shoot accurately. Look into some of the posts by @Idaho Ron

Latest posts

Back