• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Moving On

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There comes a time with every collector when the time comes along to sell some of his collection , not been able to keep them in good order at 83 years young it decided to let go is one of my percussion punt guns , this gun has a 100inch barrel with a 1.3/8 bore and weighs about 2 cwt it is now many decades ago since its boom was heard now is too heavy for me to handle and keep in good c0ndition . see image
Feltwad
View attachment 99326View attachment 99328
Might work on the quail we have around here.

what's not to like?! my gun is bigger than your gun!! HA, HA HA! so there! your gun is rely bigger than my gun!

Punt guns are cool. Don't think I would want to shoot one.
1634246490229.png

Very Similar guns where used by market hunters on the Murray River, ammonia pipe into a large breach region seemed the construction of them .. No longer legal But I restored one missing its lock as a piece of Australian History .
Regards Rudyard

When James Mitchner wrote the book, Chesapeake, he lived on the bay for several years doing the necessary research that all of his historical novels required.

One entire chapter in the book was devoted to a family that was regionally famous for the ownership of one of these massive punt guns. Once they had been outlawed due to the decimation of waterfowl populations on the Eastern Seaboard's Flyway; then remainder of the chapter went on to detail all of the shenanigans that occurred between the mythical family, and the various law enforcement agencies that were hell bent on capturing the huge gun, and putting the poachers in jail.

If I recall correctly, the skiffs for these massive guns had to be heavily reinforced as some of them required several pounds of coarse black powder to send the huge shot charges out into the flocks of nesting ducks and geese sleeping on the water in the wee hours of the night.

The goal was to kill/maim as many as possible with a single shot so that teams of Chesapeake Bay retrievers could fetch the dead & wounded ducks/geese before the authorities showed up.

When James Mitchner wrote the book, Chesapeake, he lived on the bay for several years doing the necessary research that all of his historical novels required.

One entire chapter in the book was devoted to a family that was regionally famous for the ownership of one of these massive punt guns. Once they had been outlawed due to the decimation of waterfowl populations on the Eastern Seaboard's Flyway; then remainder of the chapter went on to detail all of the shenanigans that occurred between the mythical family, and the various law enforcement agencies that were hell bent on capturing the huge gun, and putting the poachers in jail.

If I recall correctly, the skiffs for these massive guns had to be heavily reinforced as some of them required several pounds of coarse black powder to send the huge shot charges out into the flocks of nesting ducks and geese sleeping on the water in the wee hours of the night.

The goal was to kill/maim as many as possible with a single shot so that teams of Chesapeake Bay retrievers could fetch the dead & wounded ducks/geese before the authorities showed up.
Here in the UK when punt gunning was popular these guns were known Has [ Tools Of The Trade] it was a living for these gunners when the season was in with most sold at the city markets such has London and the like .
Feltwad

Funny, I dreamed about this gun last night. My pop had bought it and had set it up in a bunker in the old house we lived in when I was a kid. He test fired it and it went off with a deep boom like an artillery cannon. I thought it was irresponsible for him to test fire in the neighborhood, but he was only going to shoot it the once. 😂

If this is inappropriate, please forgive me, but what do you expect something like that to bring???? Would love to own one, but have no idea what it would take.

Very cool piece.
Doc

Last edited:
If this is inappropriate, please forgive me, but what do you expect something like that to bring???? Would love to own one, but have no idea what it would take.

Very cool piece.
Doc
It all depends on who wants it on the day, if there are a few bidders it could make a good price will just have to wait and see, I understand that the last original one sold at this auction house some years ago which crossed the pond to a American bidder.
Feltwad

This punt gun has now been put back to Holts Sealed bid Auction on the 6th January 2022. It is entered has Lot 2062A in their sealed bid Catalogue on their website
Feltwad

100_4283.JPG

Latest posts

Back