• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mounting a serpentine / S-lever

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've got the terminology correct, but I have one of those match-cord holders from the rifle shoppe that works as a lever to lower the match to the pan (or whatever we call it on a handgonne; I'm new to this). Clearly I'll have to drill a hole through the lever for it to pivot on, and then I'm wondering whether I should simply use a wood screw to mount it to the tiller, or drill through and use a bolt & nut. How would it have been done in the day? Also, any tips on how to make it look appropriate for the time?

Thanks much for any insights and suggestions

Likely something that a blacksmith made, that looks like a screw or akin thereof with some type of ‘teeth’, that was pushed through the lever and into the wood whilst hot, then peened over on the end.

I guess in other words … make it ‘ugly’ and that’ll work! But to be serious, pictures of one of the earliest known one are attached.

D2F6E536-9865-4EDA-99EA-04D3651F5AE6.jpeg
FB003968-6826-45E9-AAF6-853C42EA0658.jpeg
63941663-0416-4393-9A90-E1B383A4940E.jpeg

What I find VERY interesting on this one is that it is far more delicate than I would have guessed.

That’s a big chunk of steel that TRS sells … however with that said, the metal removal tools are much easier to access and use than any metal ‘add on’ tools. Don’t be afraid to trim it down and sculpt the head end like a snake or dragon or some mythical creature. Make it your own.

Back