• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ehepp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Mountain Rifle in 50 cal. I bought this new from Traditions with a horrendous matte black finish on the barrel and a dark poorly finished stock. I believe that it was made from leftover Austin & Halleck inventory. I stripped the finishes,browned the metal and added a maple finish to the stock. I have only fired it a few times, it shoots well and is very accurate.The bore is perfect and the lock is strong, it is a very well built rifle.

$450 plus shipping from WI.
IMG_20200109_192848676.jpg
IMG_20200109_192927245.jpg
IMG_20200109_192942790.jpg
IMG_20200109_192947632.jpg
IMG_20200109_193116916.jpg
IMG_20200109_192809031.jpg

I'm sure it's possible, but you would need a new lock and to replace the powder drum with a flash hole liner. Might be a challenge to get everything lined up.

Thanks for looking!

Here is a pic of the lock internals and powder barrel.

IMG_20200113_221446996.jpg

Wow ! Great job on the refinish. I've seen these on the store shelves and while they are good guns the factory finishes are cringeworthy. Thumbs Up !
They were never on the store shelves. Only available direct from traditions as a clearance item.
The traditions mountain rifle available now is a totally different piece.

Last edited:
I stand corrected, either way that is a fine looking rifle and a great refinishing job. If my gun safes were not overflowing with ML's at the moment we would be talking. Best of luck Thanks Dan

Thanks OldRust, it turned out very nice.

Stude is correct this is not really a Traditions/CVA Spanish built rifle. Traditions acquired all of the Austin & Halleck inventory, completed and sold some of the rifles direct. The finish they used sucked but the bones are quality and solid. Google the Austin & Halleck Mountain Rifle and you will see this gun.

Thanks

The reason that Traditions acquired the inventory from A&H is that A&H used locks and triggers manufactured by Traditions. When A&H went under they owed Traditions money and they got the inventory back. I've worked on several A&H rifles and replaced parts with Traditions lock and trigger parts. I also own one of the rifles finished by A&H. Excellent , well made rifles.

I just have to add that the box states that it has a walnut stock and that is most definitely not walnut.
It is a very nice refinish and if it was a lefty then I'd be seriously considering it.

I will add to the benefit of the seller and his rifle he’s wanting to sell.

I too, own a Austin Halleck Mountain Rifle. Traditions did indeed take over their inventory when they went out of business.

Excellent Rifle! Lock, triggers, and barrel are first rate. Stock is beautiful figured maple. All around excellent muzzleloader and pretty too!

I’d be all over this if I didn’t already own one. Excellent asking price!

Respectfully, Cowboy

I too own one of these made by Traditions, I got it in new unfired condition, it is a very nice rifle, the finish is very good on mine. I haven't fired it yet, waiting for warmer weather and not so much snow on the ground. I have owned three of these made by A & H and this one by Traditions is every bit as well made as the A&H rifles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back