• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mountain Rifle Sneaks into the House and Decided to Stay

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had resolved not to buy any more front stuffers for a while. After all, I have several of them in a variety of types.
I failed at my resolution. I saw a "Hawken" "Mountain Rifle" offered for sale, a really lovely piece. The asking price was reasonable, but too high for my hobby budget. It didn't sell and the price kept dropping until it was too much for me to bear. A nice little consulting project came my way and made it possible to buy this rifle if I could convince my wife that I was under the control of metaphysical powers that drove me to an irresistible urge to add to my collection.
And, here is is:
l0XQmt.jpg

esJBjl.jpg

LXKFQt.jpg

RYGZd9.jpg

u893Cw.jpg

It is a .50 cal. I would have preferred a .54, but that is what it had. Tom Watson built it for his son who has now built his own rifle.
It has an original, NOS, 1" Sharon Barrel. It has been stained with LMF maple. The length over all is 49.5" the barrel length is 32.5". The final finish is many coats of Tru-Oil. The weight is 9.6 #. The Lock is a new L & R .
Ron

"Good things come to those who wait." - Boy! is that an understatement! That is one really pretty rifle.

I think you deserve it. :thumbsup:

Richard/Grumpa

I can see how that one would keep eating at you! Think all of us would have given it a home if we could. Very nice rifle.,,,DT

Thank you all for your comments!

Someone said that I should be proud of the rifle. The person who should be proud is the builder, Tom Watson. I merely am the very fortunate caretaker of it, now.
Ron

As soon as I had the rifle, I compared it to the J S Hawken, S Hawken and Gemmer rifles in the Cody, WY Cody Museum.
Does my new "Hawken" resemble closely any of the originals in the photographs according to the more experienced and expert eyes?
Number 9 in this photograph look superficially similar, but with a much shorter length of pull:
38nbY9.jpg

Number 5 has some common features with my rifle:
M3w7Vf.jpg

How about number 1?
GtK0g5.jpg

Thanks,
Ron

Sadly I have always been confused as to how many firearms I have :confused: as well as when the one in question was aquired :hmm: I have never been able to give the wife a difinative answer to either :idunno:

I recommend it highly! :)

Ron, I would never resort to such a low behavior with my wife. She did ask the other day if I had a new gun I was sneaking into the house because it was in a new to me leather case. I truthfully told her "no" it was just a case I picked up at a gun show and contain a gun I had purchased earlier. The gun that was in the case at the gun show was in my gun safe. :)

I must confess that my wife has been pretty tolerant of my collector behavior. She may ask why I "need" some item I want to purchase, but doesn't prevent me from indulging in my hobbies now and again -as long as it fits in my budgeted "allowance."
We have had over 46 years to work these things out.
Ron

Ron,

That is one Beautiful rifle you have there!!

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Hawken and Plains type rifle's. Yours is breath taking! If ya ever want to part with it, Definitely keep me in mind! :haha:

Back in the 70's Sharon Barrel CO. was definitely one of the top of the line manufacturer's of quality barrel's and offered some very nice finished rifles as well as kit's.

Their barrel's were known for their accuracy and quality. I have a Sharon Trade Rifle in .50. Had it in the classifieds a while back ago but decided to pull it. Very glad that I did! Wont make that mistake ever again.

Here is a link that you might be interested in.

http://grrw.org/sharon-rifle-barrel-co/

Those Hawken rifle's on display at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody are quite a treat to see! I worked as a janitor in that very same museum when I was in High School. That's how I got my running around money back then! :haha: Sturm Ruger donated alot of those Hawken Rifle's to the museum. They came from their collection.

Anyway, Thanks for posting the pics of your fine rifle my friend!

Respectfully, Ferrell/Cowboy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back