• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mountain rifle pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemeteor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
finished this weekend.
.50 Rice barrel cut to 43".
Modified Chambers lefty Siler.
This one's headed to Massachusetts,... my buddy swears there really are deer up there...
whaat.gif

/mike

Final1.jpg

Final6.jpg

Final7.jpg

Final9.jpg

Final2.jpg

FinalMM2.jpg

Good job. I can't decide whether I like that sharp comb or not. Quite a prominent feature. If that's the style, then that's the style. Simple but beautiful, my kind of rifle.

Could you please give some details on the style? What region and date that style originates from. Thanks. Bill

Really nice job!!! Only thing is.....I don't know anyone who would shoot it?? After all...the whole world is right handed. :rotf:

that's really nice! and nice piece of maple,some good figure but not flashy, very elegant and a good example of what would be seen on a good typical gun of the period.
i like your trigger guard, did you make it?

I really like it. Great job. Real nice Buttplate. Great color & detail in the wear areas.

Keith Lisle

Very nice.

I love the trigger guard and the patch box.
The cheek piece is very well executed.

What did you finish the metal with???

thanks folks - I sincerely appreciate the kind words.
Cool people in this forum/neighborhood.
for what its worth, I'm a righty myself - last two customers have been lefties.

Trigger guard is a Bean from Track. I didn't make it, but I did manage to break it.
Welded it back together - that gives it the homemade look
wink.gif

Wasn’t really recreating a specific regional style or timeframe.
just reaching for what I find pleasing in Appalachian/TN style guns.

finish is ferric nitrate crystals dissolved in alcohol, followed by Feibings brown leather dye, followed by Behlens Solar Lux hickory+cherry mix, followed by Permalyn sealer and Chambers oil till arm hurts, with lotsa strategic rubbing back along the way.
Metal is cold blued, rusted, rubbed back and re-blued, rusted, rubbed, repeat, repeat, until you see what you like”¦.. I finish with oil and heat until it smokes.
/mike

It stock is the shape of a Upper East Tenn rifle, with other southern trim.

Good lookin rifle. The staining job & accenting is Superb !

Keith Lisle

Superb rifle, and a fantastic job making a German lock look English. Super fine work.

Bill

Back