• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mountain Men; ultimate marksmen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping for more flintlock etc.
The original historian brought in for the show did a great job. It's out of our hands in post though.

Lots of very knowledgeable and well known people will be on the show. I'm hoping it does well so next season they can do even more historical firearms.

Like anything TV it has to be flashy enough to get to the general audience. And yes I saw some slight historical errors as well. Overall I can say I'm happy to be apart of the show.

Load however works for you. I bounce my ramrod anytime that I need to. Sometimes it's the only way to get a ball fully seated onto the powder.

Care to challenge me then?
I am the winner of the episode.

The bouncing of the ramrod is because I'm used to shooting N-ssa and its the cadence I use to seat the round.
I’d love to shoot with you, every May and October the Fort Greenville Ohio Muzzloading club has their woods walk.. it’s hard but a lot of fun! There are between 30-60 contestants. There are 32 targets, axe throwing, knife throwing, splitting a round ball on an axe and breaking two clay birds on each side of axe, cutting cards, cutting string suspended by a balloon, shooting suckers, straws,water bottles and clay birds ( stationary with rifle and pistol.. but Thrown with shotgun supplied )… distances vary, but I’m here to tell you it’s not easy..there are some pistol targets, one of the axe throwing targets actually is on a cable, with a trolly and when your ready you step on a trigger that releases the trolly, then you step up to the line and toss the hawk in hopes of hitting the moving wood slab.. in case of a tie, we do fire starting it’s timed, last time I blew my charcloth right out of birds nest lol needless to say my time wasn’t very good that day!.. I place normally pretty high in the overall event, I don’t practice that often except to shoot in my backyard range.
If your in the neighborhood next May or October shoot me a PM, we would love to have you!

Last edited:
Also tottaly unimpressed with the first episode but decided to watch the second and learned a lot of history. I was tottaly unaware that the Henry rifle and 1866 yellow boy were prefered firearms during the fur trade era and were used by mountain men to protect their bags of beaver furs from thieves.

Funny, we teach our 4H kids to bounce the ramrod to ensure that the ball is seated down firmly. And, they even use a rubber mallet to start the ball at the muzzle!!! Eeek!!!!

I personally know a couple of kids I’d put up against the internet warriors in this thread, at 50 yds, offhand!!!

So we've established that some like the show and others find fault with it.

For the record I don't fault in any of the contestants with any misinformation or other things. I fault the production company and the director for any problems with such shows. They have the decision making and editing power and oversee what is eventually broadcast..., not the contestants.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back