• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mountain Man Agg ends June 30, 2010

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, I'm slow this month. To make up for it I'll give you plenty to play with and extra time to git 'er done. Here's one that should test yer skills,
The Mountain Man!

Entries will include one rifle shot, one hawk throw, and one knife throw, all on the same target. I thought about having you start a fire with flint and steel, but figgered it'd make the targets hard to measure... :idunno:

The target is a standard 8.5 x 11" sheet of printer paper with an X drawn thru the center.

Distance is 25 yards for the rifle shot.

Any traditional, open-sighted, muzzleloading rifle firing a single round ball projectile is allowed.

Rifle shots are to be taken off-hand.

One rifle shot shot per target.

Tomahawks will be thrown from a minimum distance of 12 feet.

Tomahawks only. No axes or belt axes etc.

Tomahawk blade must "stick" in target face.

One hawk throw per target.

Knives will be thrown from a minimum distance of 12 feet.

Throwing knives only.

Knife blade must "stick" in target face.

One knife throw per target.

Targets with more than 3 holes (one from each of rifle, hawk, and knife) will be disqualified. (Staple/tack holes and torn corners from tape are OK. )

All hits must be completely on the paper. Targets with hits that break the edge of the paper will be disqualified. If you hit the edge, get another sheet of paper and try again.

All hits will be measured from center of hit to center of target.

Center of target will be determined by contest judge (me). Judges decisions are final.

Smallest total score determines the winner.

Targets that have been mutilated will be disqualified.

All Muzzleloadingforum members are eligible to participate.

Members screen name must be written on their target.(So we know who won. )

One entry per member.

Multiple targets may be submitted in the same envelope to save postage if more than one member shoots in the same group.

Targets must be postmarked by July 1, 2010 to be eligible.

Targets received after July 10, 2010 will be disqualified.

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe! :hatsoff:

Mail entries to;
Jim Green
P.O. Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

Leave the knife and the hawk in the target, gives ya somethin to aim at with the rifle! :wink: :v

lonehunter said:
Leave the knife and the hawk in the target, gives ya somethin to aim at with the rifle! :wink: :v

'Specially if'n they won't stick where ya aimed. Maybe they got it comin'.:haha:

Well, Friendship is coming up and this is practice
for THE Mountain Man Aggregate! Do we have to leave the first throw in the block while we throw the second? I always end up playing "handles" when I do this!

:thumbsup:

Is there a specific order in which each throw or shot is taken? I can see the possibility that a skilled competitor might lose the shot hole underneath the two blade cuts. (Not me, I suspect).
So...how do they do it normally?
Pete

grzrob said:
Well, Friendship is coming up and this is practice
for THE Mountain Man Aggregate! Do we have to leave the first throw in the block while we throw the second? I always end up playing "handles" when I do this!

:thumbsup:

Nope. You can stick one, pull it, and stick the other.

Any order you prefer.

I'd prolly do the throwin' first and shootin' last... :hmm: :idunno:

Been practicing. How do ya score this? :hmm:

0515101654b.jpg

Got it done today. Buripity and me went thru a lot of paper before each getting a target to shoot at. Hard to get the hawk and knife to stick on the same target without cutting an edge. :surrender:

And we both lost a hawk handle in the process. :redface:

hawknknife.jpg

Monkey see, monkey do. Why do the practice shots always go better than the real thing? :idunno:

Interestingly enough, the next practice throw hit about 1/4 inch left of this spot and split my handle. Thank goodness for Grey Whisker's duct tape.

This contest was reminiscent of the 2X4 shoot. Instead of ton of lead, we needed a reem of paper. Finally got 'em both to stick without cutting the edge of the paper. I guess that's what we get for buying "forcefield" paper. :wink:

we shooting round ball or conicals? :hmm: heres an idea add pistol at say 15-20 yard... well I'm in if I get a chance this month.

We're shootin' round ball for this one.

Send that target it! The more, the merrier!

Wish I woulda thought of that pistol add-on... maybe next time.

Latest posts

Back