• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mould or mold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense to the Brits among us but I avoid any of their odd spellings or pronunciations and stick to the American forms.
According to my Brit wife, We yanks have bastardized the Queens English to the point some words do not make sense to her.
Her favorite word is SQUIRREL. A simple word that NO American can pronounce correctly.

Every American says Sq-Whirl. If you ever look in the dictionary (Websters US, not Cambridge)
It is a 2 syllable word.

Both mold and mould are two different words in English.
Mold: what yo find on old bread
Mould: A vessel to make something in.

We yanks use mold for both.

I draw the line at aluminium.
Why is that? I’ve used plenty of Lee molds and Lyman open. I have several Callahan molds and use them regularly. I can’t tell one ball from the other
But…
Please note
I’ve never checked ball for weight, nor have I ever miched one
Still I shoot as well as I can see… and that’s not the best with traditional sights

According to Wikipedia (or should that be Wikipaedia?) the original publication of the John Brown song has his body "a mouldering in the grave".

According to my Brit wife, We yanks have bastardized the Queens English to the point some words do not make sense to her.
Her favorite word is SQUIRREL. A simple word that NO American can pronounce correctly.

Every American says Sq-Whirl. If you ever look in the dictionary (Websters US, not Cambridge)
It is a 2 syllable word.

Both mold and mould are two different words in English.
Mold: what yo find on old bread
Mould: A vessel to make something in.

We yanks use mold for both.
Well we lead the lead to the mold.
I’ve never bought tyres, but have read journey to the centre of the earth
Language always changes. Wind used to be winde, and the e was pronunced . Knight and knife used to be said with the k sound.
We call the language of the Scots and Irish Gallic. This grew out of the Latin spelling Gaul. However the G sound in Latin was a k sound. Kaul and we can see how related that is to Celt, or from the Greek kelt.
Caesar is Gius Julius Caesar though he would have said Kius Illius Keysar.

Why is that? I’ve used plenty of Lee molds and Lyman open. I have several Callahan molds and use them regularly. I can’t tell one ball from the other
But…
Please note
I’ve never checked ball for weight, nor have I ever miched one
Still I shoot as well as I can see… and that’s not the best with traditional sights
American: aluminum.
English: aluminium.

Well we lead the lead to the mold.
I’ve never bought tyres, but have read journey to the centre of the earth
Language always changes. Wind used to be winde, and the e was pronunced . Knight and knife used to be said with the k sound.
We call the language of the Scots and Irish Gallic. This grew out of the Latin spelling Gaul. However the G sound in Latin was a k sound. Kaul and we can see how related that is to Celt, or from the Greek kelt.
Caesar is Gius Julius Caesar though he would have said Kius Illius Keysar.
How sure are you of the Greco-Roman prenunciation. Our Primer was Latin for today,pronounced "Eating"..Latin is a Dead lanuage,Dead as dead can be
It used to kill the romans,
Now it's killing Me.. Reminds me:- Caesar adsum jam fortae,
Brutus adorat.. Excuse my poor remaining Latin Spelling. O.D.

How sure are you of the Greco-Roman prenunciation. Our Primer was Latin for today,pronounced "Eating"..Latin is a Dead lanuage,Dead as dead can be
Of course we can’t be absolutely sure. We do have some Roman scholars from the first and second centuries who thought the G and C as the same letter and should be dropped and Greek K could be used. Even upset that in the provenances you might hear an s in place of hard c sound. There was no j in Latin. Then tha adaptaion of K in to German and use of ‘Caesar’ as king still pronounced Kaiser
Then some Latin poetry only works if we use certain sound combinations
The same way we learn how Shakespeare pronounced his words, by reading his poetry

Dear Old Dog shouldnt that be" Ceasar had some jam for tea .Pompey et a rat ,Ceasare sickin Ominibus Pompey sick in at ." . Ime like Sam Weller I spells it with a ' we . Cheers Rudyard

Back