• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mould or mold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Being a bit of a wordsmith, I have long been unsure what the correct spelling is for the tool we use to cast round balls. Is it ''mould" or "mold"? To my way of thinking, "mold" is the fungus stuff that grows in moist area and "mould" is the casting tool. So, I looked it up. Surprise! o_O Do yer own thang. Both are correct and interchangeable for the casting tool. "Mold" is a more American usage and "mould" is more British but either is acceptable. Potato/potaato?

I agree with @Rifleman1776 in post #1; “mold” is that stuff which reproduces with spores, and a “mould” is what we use for casting. However, I don’t doubt that both spellings are now considered correct in American English. I can tell you one thing for sure, though, and that is the auto-correct function on this forum, for the longest time, would not tolerate the word “mould.” It usually changed the word to “ mound” while I wasn’t looking. Sometimes two or three times, before it would give up. It isn’t so bad now, for some reason, but Auto-Correct still has a few quirks. It insists on capitalizing the “M” in “muzzleloading,” for example.

It is sometimes fun to compare British and American spellings. Just this morning, I saw the term, “Thompson/Centre” in a post by a Canadian forum member. I’m not picking on him at all. I thought it was cool.

I’ll probably continue to write “mould” because I’m fixed in my habits and I’m too old to change them. However, I think the important thing is communication. As long as the meaning is clear, we’re good.

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back