• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Most Overrated Muzzleloading Accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a fan of slings. Proper military hold will be more accurate using a sling. And it's a lot easier to drag a deer out of the woods without having to carry your rifle.

Well slings are not just for small or large game hunting. As a waterfowler a sling is an absolute must for any type of wader hunting. Shotgun is slung across the back or front as a stout walking stick is also a must especially in flooded timber. Otherwise you will get wet, and in cold weather that SUCKS as I can well attest to😁.

Most UNDERATED puller is a bench mounted vise!!! Never failed in shop and one mounted on a guys service truck bumper was always a popular item. Had a Heavy Duty one i clamped onto range bench but forgot it one day and was never seen again.

I agree. When I was a boy my dad taught me how to wrap a sling around my off arm and tighten my arm to stabilize the rifle.
Luckily I hunt in pretty dense woods so there is always a tree close by to brace against. I also keep shooting sticks stashed at my ground blinds.

I'm a fan of slings. Proper military hold will be more accurate using a sling. And it's a lot easier to drag a deer out of the woods without having to carry your rifle.
Been still hunting up here in the brush for 61 years, If my rifle was carried on a sling, I’d still be hunting for my first kill…..

I believe the most over rated BP accessory is the metal capper. A piece of thick leather with cap sized holes punched along the edge is all that is needed.
However, I do like those straight line cappers when I'm shooting cap and ball revolvers, especially my little 1849 pocket. My fingers are too big and I keep dropping the caps otherwise. I'm sure it's mainly operator error.

This is funny,

I just as of late started using Ballistol and I will admit the Jury is still out. Been using Soap and water and gun oil follow up with no problems. Just recently started using a patch knife and cutting off at the muzzle, since all these years I have been using a shot card I really didn't need the knife. The little hammer I have used considerably freshening up a flint but I agree not necessary the back side of a knife works fine. Never bought into the Bore butter seasoning thing but do use it from time to time for patch lube. Slings, Yes I have one on one of my Lymans and all of the unmentionables, it is handy when I need both hands. I try to use a rest eg. Fork of a tree, Log, pack etc. "Too much movement getting wrapped in". Not to say that I won't if there is nothing available. Ramrod Pullers?, nah haven't needed one, guess I have been lucky. Oh I have had to pull balls, but nothing that required much effort. I use the pan bush when its really cold and I don't wanna take my gloves off when its freezing but dont use it that much most of the time. Vent prick, I use it most of the time. So, the Doodad thingy...yeah, thats crazy. Cappers, I don't know some work better than others never tried a leather one. I know I said, I didn't need the little patch knife...but it is so dern cool! I just like carrying it!

RM

Ramrod puller
Thank you for the reply. Now that I know what it is I may need to buy one. I bought an old cap gun that came with a ball in the barrel and the barrel is rusty so I may need something like that to try to get the ball out. I'm going to clean out as much rust as I can before I try to pull the ball.

My vote is for a knapping hammer, pan brush and patch knife. I use a capper from Ted cash, used to use a leather capper.. but after a few years or so it went bad. My brass capper is about 10 years old or so and still works fine. I also use a ball starter..so can’t delete that.

However, I do like those straight line cappers when I'm shooting cap and ball revolvers, especially my little 1849 pocket. My fingers are too big and I keep dropping the caps otherwise. I'm sure it's mainly operator error.
I do like the capping tools for my Remington 1858. Like you, it's a lot easier for me to get the cap seated from the loader. I load a few of them before I go to the range, and it makes capping a lot faster.

On the subject of short starters, however, I find those to be handy for pushing a patch and ball into the muzzle, initially, on my flintlock pistol. I haven't tried starting the ball with the ramrod, and quite frankly, with the force required to do that, it's too easy for the ramrod to slip. The short starter has been a good investment.

I will admit to having bought a tube of Bore Butter when I started gathering everything needed to start shooting BP. I use a technique I read about where I smear some around the chamber mouths of my revolver before pushing a ball home so that it mitigates the fouling from behind the ball. It seems to do the trick at that. I run about eight cylinders for a range trip without punching the bore, and accuracy stays pretty decent because the lube keeps the fouling soft.

Those little weird "knapping hammers" you ostensibly use to re-edge flints. I just pop a flake off using the elbow of the frizzen.
How do you do that? Are you hooking the forward edge of the flint into the base of the frozen on the front side? I have a flint I might use to try that if that's how it's done. I've never knapped a flint. I just wore out my first one.

So what's the real problem with a guy having some of these devices mentioned here ? I use some of the things when shooting from a bench, and don't see why not to use them.....such as a Ted Cash capper. I've never had a problem with one and I like having a good supply of caps in one. I have made a couple of leather cap holders over the years to put in my bag when out hunting, but I sure can't see a reason to not own a nice Ted Cash capper. It almost looks like this thread is a bunch trying to minimize anything that could be used with a more traditional method.

Back